|Member of the European Parliament|
Assumed office |
14 July 2009
16 April 1963|
The Greens–European Free Alliance
|Alma mater||Université catholique de Louvain|
Education and early career
Lamberts graduated as an engineer at the Université catholique de Louvain in 1986. From 1987 to 2009 he worked at IBM in a variety of positions, also as a manager. Between 1999 and 2003 he was an adviser of the Vice-Prime Minister Isabelle Durant on foreign affairs and defence.
Member of the European Parliament, 2009–present
Lamberts was the co-spokesperson of the European Green Party between 2006 and 2012. (first with Ulrike Lunacek, then with Monica Frassoni) and has been a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) for the Ecolo party since 2009. He has been leading the Greens–European Free Alliance in the European Parliament since 2014, alongside co-chair Rebecca Harms and later Ska Keller. He is a member of the European Parliament's Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs (ECON) and the Committee for Industry, Research and Energy.
As a member of ECON, Lamberts was credited with an amendment to the Fourth Capital Requirements Directive that capped bonus payments in the financial services to no more than 100% of their salary, or 200% with shareholder approval. In 2015, he led calls for a special committee of inquiry into how EU Member States give special tax treatment to “national champions;” he later became a member of the parliament’s Special Committee on Tax Rulings and Other Measures Similar in Nature or Effect.
Since 2017, Lamberts has also been serving on the Parliament's so-called Brexit Steering Group, which works under the aegis of the Conference of Presidents and to coordinates Parliament's deliberations, considerations and resolutions on the UK's withdrawal from the EU.
- "Philippe LAMBERTS (articles on the EGP website)". European Green Party. Retrieved 1 July 2009.
- Dave Keating (June 11, 2014), Greens pick up new members and elect presidents European Voice.
- Greens-EFA Press Release (December 13, 2016), New Bureau of the Greens/EFA Group
- Clout of European Parliament is growing, Financial Times, 20 February 2014
- Carla Main (February 3, 2015), EU Tax Inquiry, BNP, Ma on Counterfeits: Compliance Bloomberg Business.
- Brexit Steering Group European Parliament.