Philippe de Carteret II
Philippe de Carteret II, 3rd Seigneur of Sark (18 February 1584 – 22 August 1643) was the son of Philippe de Carteret I (1552–1594) and Rachel Poulet (1564–1650).
He matriculated at the University of Oxford at an early age in 1594, the same year he succeeded his father as Seigneur of Sark. He was knighted in 1617, and became Bailiff of Jersey in 1627. He died in 1643, being succeeded in the Seigneurie by his son, Philippe 4th Seigneur of Sark.
Carteret married Anne (died 1644?), daughter of Sir Francis Dowse (died 1649) of Nether Wallop, Hampshire and his wife Elizabeth Paulet (died before 1649)[a] They had seven sons and three daughters:
- Philippe (c. 1620-1662), who succeeded him, and was father of Philippe de Carteret IV.
- Peyton (died September 1652), drowned with Prince Maurice.
- Gideon(died 1643).
- Francis (died 1693), Attorney-General of Jersey, married Anne Seale (died c. 1704). Among their descendants were General Sir Tomkyns Hilgrove Turner and Bodleian Librarian Bulkeley Bandinel.
- Thomas de Carteret.
- Sir Edward (died 1699).
- Elizabeth(died 1697), married her cousin, Sir George Carteret.
- Anne de Carteret (died 1708), married Rev. Daniel Brevint, Dean of Lincoln (1616-1695).
- Elizabeth Paulet was a great niece of William Paulet, 1st Marquess of Winchester and a third cousin of Philippe's mother, Rachel Poulet
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Decarteret staff (12 November 2005) , Sir Philip De Carteret Kt.Seig Sark, Decarteret.org.uk, archived from the original on 11 March 2007, retrieved October 2006 Check date values in:
- Sir Philippe de Carteret, TheIslandWiki, 30 August 2013, retrieved December 2015 Check date values in:
- Balleine, George Reginald (1948), Biographical dictionary of Jersey, London & New York: Staples Press, OCLC 4469057 — contains an biographical entry for this man
|Bailiff of Jersey
Philippe de Carteret I
|Seigneur of Sark
Philippe de Carteret III
|This article about a person from Jersey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|