Philippine Veterans Affairs Office
|Formed||24 September 1972|
|Jurisdiction||Republic of the Philippines|
|Headquarters||Camp Aguinaldo, Quezon City|
|Parent department||Department of National Defense|
The Philippine Veterans Affairs Office (PVAO) (Filipino: Tanggapan para sa Kapakanan ng mga Beteranong Pilipino) is the Philippine agency for Filipino war veterans. Under the Department of National Defense, PVAO serves to fulfill a national commitment as embodied in Section 7, Article XVI of the 1987 Philippine Constitution:
“The State shall provide immediate and adequate care, benefits and other forms of assistance to war veterans and veterans of military campaigns, their surviving spouses and orphans. Funds shall be provided therefor and due consideration shall be given them in the disposition of agricultural lands of the public domain and, in appropriate cases, in the utilization of natural resources.”
PVAO's core functions include the administration of veteran’s pension and benefits, memorialization of veterans’ heroic deeds, and promotion of policies and management of services for veterans’ affairs and welfare.
Veterans Memorial Medical Center
Military Shrines Service
The former Military Shrines Service which is responsible for the administration, maintenance and development of national shrines of military and historic significance, has been renamed as Veterans Memorial and Historical Division (VMHD) and is now a division under PVAO. From six national shrines, it now administers a total of ten military shrines, namely:
- Balantang Memorial Cemetery National Shrine
- Ricarte National Shrine
- Capas National Shrine
- Mount Samat National Shrine
- Bantayog Sa Kiangan
- Libingan ng mga Bayani
- USAFIP-NL National Shrine & Park
- PEFTOK-Korean War Memorial Hall
- Corregidor National Shrine (under lease by the Department of Tourism)
- Balete Pass National Shrine
- "General alarm: Battle brews over veterans' affairs". GMA News Online. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- Pilipinas, Etravel. "ARTICLE XVI: General Provisions - 1987 Philippine Constitution | Etravel Pilipinas". www.etravelpilipinas.com. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Arroyo's bill granting corporate personality to VMMC passes House committee". Politiko Central Luzon. 2018-09-27. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "P.D. No. 1076". lawphil.net. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "Pvao bulletin vol 10 issue 3". Issuu. Retrieved 2018-11-20.
- "peftokmuseumph". peftokmuseumph. Retrieved 2019-01-09.