Formal diplomatic relations between the two countries were established on June 13, 1949 on a nonresidence basis with the signing of a Treaty of Friendship. Turkey established its resident embassy in Manila in 1990 with Erhan Yigitbasioglu as the first resident ambassador. The Philippines established its resident embassy in Ankara in October 1991 with Bonifacio Arribas as the first resident ambassador. Turkey also established an honorary consulate in Cebu in 1992.
Then-Philippine President Fidel V. Ramos made a state visit to Turkey in February 1995. Then-Turkish President Süleyman Demirel also made a state visit to the Philippines in February 1999. Then-Philippine President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo also made a state visit to Turkey in September 2009. Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu travelled to Manila for an official visit in November 2014 to discuss with the peace process with Bangsamoro and threats posed by the Islamic State with President Benigno Aquino III.
Turkish flour trade to the Philippines
Allegations were raised in 2013 that Turkish flour exporters has been dumping Turkish flour to the Philippines against World Trade Organization policy. Turkish flour was reported to be exported to the Philippines from Turkey at a lower price compared to Philippine local flour.
Philippine Association of Flour Millers (PAFMIL) has petitioned the Philippine Department of Agriculture to raise tariff on Turkish flour from 7 percent to 20 percent. The proposal was opposed by the Filipino-Chinese Bakery Association, who claimed that small bakeries won't cope up with increase operational cost. PAFMIL claims that during the November 2012 period, Turkish flour was sold in the Philippines for $348 per metric ton against a domestic price of $470 per MT.
Turkish flour exporters, Turkish Flour, Yeast and Ingredients rejected the dumping claims and said that it will fight for it rights.
The Philippines has no extradition treaty with Turkey. Turkish companies were involved in the upgrading six armored personnel carriers of the Philippine Army. Turkey is supportive to the resolution of the Islamic Insurgency in the Philippines.
Filipinos in Turkey
As of 2013, There are about 5,000 Filipinos in Turkey mostly working as fishermen and domestic helpers. According to a US study. Filipinos among Russians and Africans are one of the fastest growing minorities in Turkey due to the country's improving economic performance.
- "Treaty of Friendship between the Republic of the Philippines and the Republic of Turke" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 September 2015. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Relations between Turkey and the Philippines / Rep. of Turkey Ministry of Foreign Affairs". Mfa.gov.tr. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "ARTS-CULTURE - Philippine-Turkish Relations". Hurriyetdailynews.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Updated September 18, 2009 - 12:00am (2009-09-18). "RP, Turkey to push for closer defense, security cooperation | Middle East and Africa, The Filipino Global Community, Home". philstar.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30. Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "philstar" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page). Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "philstar" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- Karagöz, Serdar (17 November 2014). "Davutoğlu Stresses Turkey's Full Support in Philippine Peace Process". Daily Sabah. Retrieved 2 December 2014.
- "Davutoglu spells out Turkey's vision for G20 presidency". Journal of Turkish Weekly. 11 November 2014. Archived from the original on 28 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- ANC – Tue, Aug 6, 2013 (2013-08-06). "Is Turkish flour a threat to PH food security? - Yahoo Philippines News". Anc.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Turkish flour exporters deny dumping charges | Inquirer Business". Business.inquirer.net. 2013-08-04. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Valencia, Czeriza (2013-07-26). "DA to recommend provisional duty on imported Turkish flour". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Turkish flour exporters will fight for their rights in the ongoing complaint against importers". Balkans.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "OFWs in Turkey worry over Ramona controversy". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "TURKEY - Filipino suspect flees to Turkey". Hurriyetdailynews.com. 2011-11-08. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Turkey's new minorities: 3.000 Russians and 5.000 Filipinos | Independent Balkan News Agency". Balkaneu.com. 2013-05-29. Retrieved 2013-10-30.