Gunner at TNA live event in April 2014.
|Birth name||Chad Lail|
June 6, 1982 |
Hickory, North Carolina
|Professional wrestling career|
|Billed height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Billed weight||247 lb (112 kg)|
|Billed from||Atlanta, Georgia
Hickory, North Carolina
|Trained by||Abel Adams|
Chad Lail (born June 6, 1982) is an American professional wrestler best known for his time in Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA) promotion, under the ring name Gunner. Since performing for TNA, he has become a one time Television Champion and a one time World Tag Team Champion with James Storm.
In addition to TNA, Lail also performs for various promotions on the independent circuit.
- 1 Professional wrestling career
- 2 Personal life
- 3 In wrestling
- 4 Championships and accomplishments
- 5 References
- 6 External links
Professional wrestling career
Independent circuit (2001–2010)
After serving in the Iraq War with the United States Marine Corps as a machine gunner, and reaching the rank of a lance corporal, Lail signed with NWA Anarchy using the ring name of Phil Shatter. Shatter eventually received a championship match against NWA Anarchy Heavyweight Champion Ace Rocwell, which he won to become the new champion.
Shatter later won the NWA National Heavyweight Championship from Crusher Hansen on January 17, 2009, and is the longest reigning champion in the title's history Shatter would drop the championship to Chance Prophet on February 19, 2011 after signing a contract with Total Nonstop Action Wrestling (TNA).
In October 2010, Shatter defeated Chase Stevens for the Showtime All-Star Wrestling (SAW) International Heavyweight Championship, but was forced to vacate the title in June 2011 due to being unable to defend it because of his TNA schedule.
Total Nonstop Action Wrestling
At the June 23, 2010, tapings of TNA's Impact! television show, Shatter made his TNA debut, along with Mikael Judas, as TNA's on-air security. On the July 29, 2010 edition of TNA Impact! taping, Shatter, now using the name Gunner and Mikael Judas, using the name Murphy, came out after an altercation involving Jeff Hardy and Mr. Anderson with Matt Morgan, and attacked Hardy and Anderson, thus turning heel. They then teamed with Morgan in a handicap match, where they were defeated by Hardy and Anderson. After appearing with Morgan the following week, Gunner and Murphy's angle with him was discontinued and they went back to being regular security guards.
On the October 21 edition of Impact! Gunner and Murphy aligned themselves with Jeff Jarrett and helped him beat down Samoa Joe. At the Turning Point pay-per-view Gunner and Murphy interfered in a match between Jarrett and Joe, helping Jarrett pick up the win. On the following edition of Impact! Gunner and Murphy made their in–ring return, losing to Samoa Joe in a handicap match. After Jarrett's feud with Samoa Joe ended, Gunner and Murphy became regular members of the Immortal stable and were less involved with Jarrett. At the December 9 tapings of Xplosion Gunner and Murphy picked up their first win in TNA, defeating Ink Inc. (Jesse Neal and Shannon Moore) in a tag team match.
On February 13, 2011, at Against All Odds, Gunner and Murphy wrestled their first TNA PPV match, a six man tag team match, where they teamed with their Immortal stablemate Rob Terry in a losing effort against James Storm, Robert Roode and Scott Steiner. In February both Gunner and Murphy signed two–year contracts with TNA, which saw them moved from their roles as just security guards into the active roster. On the February 24 edition of Impact!, Gunner and Murphy defeated Eric Young and Orlando Jordan to earn their first shot at the TNA World Tag Team Championship, held by Beer Money, Inc. (James Storm and Robert Roode). They would receive their shot at the title on the following edition of Impact!, but were defeated by Beer Money, Inc.
On March 14 at the tapings of the March 17 edition of Impact!, Gunner defeated Murphy and Rob Terry in a three–way match to win the vacant TNA Television Championship. He would lose the title to Eric Young on May 17 at the tapings of the May 26 edition of Impact Wrestling. On the June 9 edition of Impact Wrestling, Gunner pinned World Heavyweight Champion Sting in a tag team main event, in which he teamed with Mr. Anderson against Sting with Eric Young. The following week, Gunner asked new TNA World Heavyweight Champion Mr. Anderson for a shot at his title and eventually put him through a table, when he declined. In the main event of the show, Gunner defeated Anderson in a non-title match. From June to September, Gunner was one of the twelve participants in the Bound for Glory Series to determine the number one contender to the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. When the group stage of the tournament concluded, Gunner finished in the top four and thus advanced to the finals at No Surrender along with James Storm, Robert Roode and his Immortal stablemate, Bully Ray. On September 11 at No Surrender, Gunner was eliminated from the tournament, when he was defeated by Bobby Roode via submission.
Gunner then began feuding with Immortal's former referee, Garett Bischoff, losing to him via disqualification, following interference from Ric Flair, on the November 10 edition of Impact Wrestling. This was followed by Bischoff picking up two pinfall victories over Gunner on the November 17 and December 8 editions of Impact Wrestling where he would injure Garett by piledriving him into the concrete floor. He would do the same to Jesse Neal and Douglas Williams on the December 15 and 29 editions of Impact Wrestling. On the January 5, 2012, edition of Impact Wrestling, Gunner fought Rob Van Dam to a double countout but failed to injure him after Van Dam retaliated and back body droped him onto the concrete. Three days later at Genesis, Gunner defeated Van Dam after dropping him onto the concrete floor with a DDT. On February 12 at Against All Odds, Gunner, with Eric Bischoff in his corner, defeated Garett Bischoff, who had Hulk Hogan in his corner, in a singles match. On April 15 at Lockdown, Gunner represented Team Eric Bischoff in the annual Lethal Lockdown match, where the opposing team was led by Garett Bischoff, who ended up winning the match for his team. On the following episode of Impact Wrestling, Gunner unsuccessfully challenged Devon for the TNA Television Championship. After Impact Wrestling, Gunner took hiatus from television. On May 17, Lail announced that he had signed a new three year contract with TNA.
After a three month hiatus, Gunner returned to Impact Wrestling on July 26, when he, along with Kid Kash, confronted and eventually attacked the debuting Chavo Guerrero, Jr., before he was saved by Hernandez. On August 12 at Hardcore Justice, Gunner and Kash were defeated in a tag team match by Guerrero and Hernandez. Gunner and Kash faced Guerrero and Hernandez, now the TNA World Tag Team Champions, in a rematch on the October 18 episode of Impact Wrestling, but were again defeated. The pay-per-view was aired on May 3.
Teaming and feuding with James Storm (2013–2014)
Gunner returned to Impact Wrestling on May 23, attacking Robbie E and Shark Boy and being chosen as James Storm's partner in his four-way elimination match for the TNA World Tag Team Championship at Slammiversary XI, thus turning face. On June 2 at the pay-per-view, Gunner and Storm won the match over Bad Influence (Christopher Daniels and Kazarian), Austin Aries and Bobby Roode, and defending champions Chavo Guerrero and Hernandez to win the TNA World Tag Team Championship. Gunner and Storm returned on the August 8 episode of Impact Wrestling, teaming up with ODB to defeat the BroMans (Jessie Godderz and Robbie E) and Mickie James in a six-person mixed tag team match. On October 20 at Bound for Glory, Gunner and Storm lost the World Tag Team Championship to The BroMans in their first title defense, ending their reign at 140 days. Gunner and Storm received their rematch on the October 31 episode of Impact Wrestling, but were again defeated by the BroMans.
On the December 12 episode of Impact Wrestling, Gunner competed in the Feast or Fired match where he was one of the four participants to retrieve a briefcase, which was revealed to contain a match for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship the following week. Gunner put the briefcase on the line against Storm on the December 26 episode of Impact Wrestling, but the match ended in a double countout, with Gunner retaining the case. Gunner then retained the case again against Storm at Genesis, where the case was suspended from a pole. Gunner and Storm finally reunited at the January 30, 2014 episode of Impact Wrestling, when they were challenged by Bad Influence for Gunner's case, which he would retain. On the February 20 episode of Impact Wrestling, Gunner cashed in his Feast or Fired briefcase for a TNA World Heavyweight Championship match but lost to Magnus, after Storm turned on Gunner and hit him with a Last Call superkick as Gunner went for a diving headbutt. On March 9 at Lockdown, Gunner defeated Storm in a Steel Cage Last Man Standing match. On the March 20 episode of Impact Wrestling, after Storm berated Gunner's father, Gunner attacked Storm, but Storm managed to turn it around, handcuffing him to the middle rope and threatening Gunner’s father at ringside. Storm walked away, but returned to smash a beer bottle over his father's head. On April 27, 2014, Gunner defeated James Storm at Sacrifice in a "I Quit Match".
Storyline with Samuel Shaw and departure (2014–2015)
On the May 1, 2014 episode of Impact Wrestling, Gunner took part in a one night tournament to challenge Eric Young for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship. He defeated Mr. Anderson in the first match after an interference by James Storm and in the finals of the tournament he was defeated by Bobby Roode and failed to win a chance for the title. On May 10 at Victory Road, Gunner won a 12 man Gauntlet battle royal match for a future TNA World Heavyweight Championship match
On the May 22, 2014 episode of Impact Wrestling, Gunner appeared in the hospital where he was with Samuel Shaw. Short steel links displayed video footage where Gunner talked to Shaw about his illness. On the July 3 episode Impact Wrestling Gunner and Samuel Shaw came back and talked with Mr. Anderson's and Christy Hemme, during which Shaw acted like a face. On the October 15, 2014, edition of Impact Wrestling, TNA started an eight tag team tournament to determine the number one contenders for the TNA World Tag Team Championship, Gunner and Samuel Shaw decided to take part in this tournament. In this case in the first match they lost to Samoa Joe and Low Ki. On the October 22 episode on Impact Wrestling, Shaw turned on Gunner when he hit Gunner with a steel chair and kissed Brittany, starting a feud between the two. Two weeks later, on Impact Wrestling Gunner defeated Shaw in a no-disqualification match. on the January 23, 2015 episode on Impact Wrestling, Gunner competed in the Feast or Fired match but failed to retrieve a case in the match. on the February 20 episode on Impact Wrestling, Gunner competed in a 20-man #1 contender’s gauntlet match but failed to win the match. on April 3, 2015, Gunner defeated Jessie Godderz for a match on TNA Xplosion this turned out to be Gunner's last TNA match.
Return to Independent circuit (2015–present)
On April 19, 2015, at a AML wrestling event, Gunner faced Luke Hawx in a match that ended in a double disqualification. On June 6, 2015, Gunner teamed with AJ Steele, Drew Adler, and Logan Creed to defeat Francisco Ciatso, Jacob Ashworth, Jagged Edge, and Simon Sez at a SFCW event.
Lail was married to fellow professional wrestler Jayme Jameson.
- Finishing moves
- With James Storm
- With Murphy
- Double team finishing moves
- Entrance themes
Championships and accomplishments
- Future Legends Cup (2010)
- NWA Mid-Atlantic Heritage Championship (1 time)
- TNA Television Championship (1 time)
- TNA World Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with James Storm
- Feast or Fired (2013 – World Heavyweight Championship contract)
- TNA World Cup of Wrestling (2014) – with Bully Ray, Eric Young, Eddie Edwards & ODB
- TNA World Cup of Wrestling (2015) – with Jeff Hardy, Davey Richards, Rockstar Spud, Crazzy Steve & Gail Kim
- TNA Classic (2015)
1Shatter defended the title with either Kimo or Abomination under the Freebird Rule.
- "Cagematch profile".
- School, Karsten (2010-08-02). "Impact: Dreamer wrestles". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2010-08-02.
- "NWA Anarchy". NWA Anarchy. Retrieved 2010-09-27.
- "TNA Wrestling profile". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-06-15.
- = #IMPACT365: Gunner talks about his military background =
- Superstar Spotlight: Gunner and his military background
- "Former Manager of 3 NWA World Champions: - ""Nobody in the NWA is even in Phil Shatters league!"". http://www.nwawrestling.com. 2007. Retrieved 2009-05-28.[dead link]
- Martin, Adam (2011-02-26). "Gunner and Murphy officially sign deals with TNA". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-02-26.
- Meltzer, Dave (2011-06-13). "Mon. update: Notes on tonight's Raw; Fight to the wire in NY, Batista, Foley, Biggest WWE star ever". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
- Radican, Sean (2010-04-03). "Radican's ROH The Big Bang PPV Blog 4/3: Black vs. Aries vs. Strong, Briscoes vs. KOW". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-04-04.
- Boutwell, Josh (2010-07-29). "Impact Results - 7/29/10". WrestleView. Retrieved 2010-07-31.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel (2010-08-05). "Wilkenfeld's TNA Impact report 8/5: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of Spike TV broadcast (updated)". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel (2010-08-19). "Wilkenfeld's TNA Impact report 8/19: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of Spike TV broadcast". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-08-22.
- Wilkenfeld, Daniel (2010-10-21). "Wilkenfeld's TNA Impact report 10/21: Complete "virtual time" coverage of Spike TV's live broadcast". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- Caldwell, James (2010-11-07). "Caldwell's TNA Turning Point PPV results 11/7: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Hardy vs. Morgan, EV2 vs. Fortune, Team 3D "retirement" match". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-11-07.
- Keller, Wade (2010-11-11). "Keller's TNA Impact results 11/11: Styles vs. Stevie, Turning Point fallout, New TNA belt introduced by Hogan". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Martin, Adam (2010-12-10). "Spoilers: 12/9 TNA Impact TV tapings". WrestleView. Retrieved 2010-12-10.
- Caldwell, James (2011-02-13). "Caldwell's TNA Against All Odds PPV results 2/13: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Anderson vs. Hardy, Genesis re-matches, fluid X Division situation". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-02-13.
- Boutwell, Josh (2011-02-25). "Impact Results - 2/24/11". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-02-25.
- Caldwell, James (2011-03-03). "Caldwell's TNA Impact report 3/3: Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of Impact on Spike TV - Hogan, wedding, 3/3/11 reveal, Tag Title match, retirement match, celebrities". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-03-03.
- Gerweck, Steve (2011-03-15). "Spoilers: TNA Impact for March 17th". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-03-15.
- Baxendell, Matt (2011-03-17). "Bax's TNA Impact report 3/17: Alt. perspective review - new TNA Title belt, Fall-out From Hardy’s "issues" at Victory Road, Styles injury angle, Overall Grade". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-03-18.
- Caldwell, James (2011-05-17). "TNA News: Updated - Impact spoilers for the next two Thursday episodes formally introducing "Impact Wrestling"". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- Caldwell, James (2011-05-26). "Caldwell's TNA Impact report 5/26: Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of "Impact Wrestling" - Angle vs. RVD, Street Fight, 1990s Night". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-05-26.
- Bishop, Matt (2011-06-10). "Impact: Gunner shocks everybody". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2011-06-11.
- Keller, Wade (2011-06-16). "Keller's TNA Impact report 6/16: Ongoing coverage of Slammiversary fallout on Spike TV". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-06-16.
- Caldwell, James (2011-09-01). "TNA News: Final Bound for Glory Series standings - Top Four, overall results, unevenness of tournament". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-09-02.
- Caldwell, James (2011-09-11). "Caldwell's TNA No Surrender PPV results 9/11: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - three-way TNA Title match, BFG Series finals". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- Keller, Wade (2011-11-10). "Keller's TNA Impact Wrestling report 11/10: Sting grants Storm a rematch against gloating heel Roode, plus Ronnie from Jersey Shore wrestles". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- Keller, Wade (2011-11-17). "Keller's TNA Impact Wrestling report 11/17: Follow up to Turning Point, Roode and Styles match announced for Final Resolution". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- Keller, Wade (2011-12-10). "Keller's TNA Impact Wrestling report 12/8: Jarrett & Roode vs. Hardy & Styles, Mickie James vs. Madison Rayne, Storm confronts Angle". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-12-12.
- Caldwell, James (2011-12-15). "Caldwell's TNA Impact Wrestling report 12/15: PPV fall-out, Jarrett firing, Hardy-Ray". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2011-12-15.
- Boutwell, Josh (2011-12-30). "Impact Results - 12/29/11". WrestleView. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- McQuade, Jay (2012-01-05). "McQuade's TNA Impact Wrestling report 1/5: Review of final Genesis PPV hype, six-man tag main event, tournament finals". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- Caldwell, James (2012-01-08). "Caldwell's TNA Genesis PPV results 1/8: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Roode-Hardy, Angle-Storm". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-01-08.
- Caldwell, James (2012-02-12). "Caldwell's TNA Against All Odds PPV results 2/12: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Roode-Hardy-Storm-Ray TNA Title main event". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-02-12.
- Caldwell, James (2012-04-15). "Caldwell's TNA Lockdown PPV results 4/15: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Roode-Storm main event, Angle-Hardy, Lethal Lockdown opener". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-04-15.
- Caldwell, James (2012-04-19). "Caldwell's TNA Impact Wrestling results 4/19: Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of Lockdown fall-out, Hogan's "big announcement"". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-04-20.
- Nemer, Roy (2012-05-18). "TNA wrestler signs new contract with company". WrestleView. Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- Caldwell, James (2012-07-26). "Caldwell's TNA Impact Wrestling results 7/26: Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of live Impact - BFG Series matches, interim GM". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-07-26.
- Caldwell, James (2012-08-12). "Caldwell's TNA Hardcore Justice PPV results 8/12: Ongoing "virtual time" coverage of live PPV - Aries vs. Roode, BFG Series matches". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-08-12.
- Caldwell, James (2012-10-18). "Caldwell's TNA Impact results 10/18: Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of live BFG PPV fall-out". Pro Wrestling Torch. Retrieved 2012-10-18.
- "TNA Joker's Wild Results". Retrieved May 21, 2013.
- "TNA One Night Only taping themes for final Impact Zone dates". proWrestling.net. 2013-03-08. Retrieved 2013-03-08.
- "CALDWELL'S TNA IMPACT RESULTS 5/23: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of live Impact - Hogan returns home, A.J. in Aces & Eights?, final show in current timeslot".
- "CALDWELL'S TNA SLAMMIVERSARY PPV RESULTS (Hour 2): Hall of Fame inductee revealed, new Tag & TV champions".
- "CALDWELL'S TNA IMPACT RESULTS 8/8: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of pre-DWI Angle & Sabin vs. Team 3D main event, BFG Series continues, Tito Ortiz".
- "CALDWELL'S TNA BFG PPV RESULTS 10/20 (Hour 1): Ultimate X opens PPV, new TNA tag champs, Angle rejects Sting".
- "CALDWELL'S TNA IMPACT RESULTS 10/31: Complete "virtual-time" coverage of Halloween Impact - Angle "injured" again, TNA Title decision, two title matches, more".
- Caldwell, James. "CALDWELL'S TNA IMPACT RESULTS 12/12: Ongoing "virtual-time" coverage of TNA Impact - Feast or Fired, X Title match, more". PWTorch. Retrieved December 12, 2013.
- Boutwell, Josh. "TNA Impact Wrestling Results - 12/19/13 (New TNA Champion)". Wrestleview. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- "TNA Impact Wrestling Results 12/26".
- "TNA Impact Wrestling Results 12/26/13".
- Carapola, Stuart. "LIVE, ONGOING IMPACT WRESTLING - GENESIS 2014 COVERAGE: A SOLID HALF HOUR OF TALKING TO START THE SHOW". PWInsider. Retrieved January 16, 2014.
- Carapola, Stuart. "ONGOING IMPACT WRESTLING REPORT: THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE REUNITE". PWInsider. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "TNA departure". Retrieved 2015-06-20.
- "Jayme Jameson's profile".
- "PPV reports: Bully Ray hammers Sting at TNA Slammiversary". Slam! Sports. 2013-06-02. Retrieved 2013-06-06.
- "Royal Ramblings: Shooting Straight with TNA's Gunner Posted: 06/05/2014 12:04 BST".
- Meltzer, Dave (2011-12-28). "Wed. update: Punk, ROH surgery, Tokyo Dome; Raw rating, Dixie Carter, Madden, ROH, UFC fights". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Retrieved 2011-12-29.
- "Immortal Theme". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "Day of Rage (Gunner)". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2012-11-20.
- "James Storm "Longnecks & Rednecks"". Total Nonstop Action Wrestling. Retrieved 2011-11-10.
- Mosorjak, Greg (2010-08-08). "Day 3 Charlotte: Old legends, live matches". Slam! Sports. Canadian Online Explorer. Retrieved 2010-08-13.
- "NWA Anarchy Heavyweight Championship history".
- "NWA Anarchy Tag Team Championship history".
- "NWA Mid-Atlantic Heritage Championship history".
- "NWA Anarchy Heavyweight Championship history".
- "Pro Wrestling Illustrated (PWI) 500 for 2014". The Internet Wrestling Database. Retrieved 2014-12-02.
- "SAW International Heavyweight Title History". Wrestling-Titles.com. Retrieved 2010-02-13.
- "Impact Wrestling results (Feast or Fired) 12/12/13".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gunner.|