|Member of the Indiana House of Representatives|
from the 92nd district
|Preceded by||R. Michael Young|
|Succeeded by||Karlee Macer|
December 25, 1946|
|Alma mater||Indiana State University|
Phillip D. "Phil" Hinkle (born December 25, 1946) is a former Republican member of the Indiana House of Representatives from Indianapolis, Indiana representing the 92nd District from 2000 to 2012. His district included the western third of Wayne and Pike Townships.
After having taught for three years at Ben Davis High School, he became Research Director for the Indianapolis City-County Council, a position he held for three years. In 1978, he was elected Wayne Township, Indiana Assessor, a position to which he was re-elected three times. In 1979 he earned an M.A. in political science in 1979 from Indiana State University.
In 1991, he became a realtor while running for the Indianapolis City-County Council.
He was elected and served on the council until November 2000 when he was elected to his first term in the Indiana House of Representatives.
In the House
He voted for the state's constitutional amendment defining marriage as existing only between a man and a woman.
Hinkle is married to the former Barbara Conti; they have two children. He is employed full-time as the Coordinator of Community Partnerships with MSD of Wayne Township.
In 2011 he was identified as the man who paid an 18-year-old man he found on craigslist for "a really good time" in a room. The man stated that when they were in the hotel room, Hinkle "grabbed him in the rear, dropped his towel and sat down on the bed — naked." The young man changed his mind about the sexual encounter, prompting Hinkle to offer him money and electronics as a bribe to keep quiet.
Several of his fellow GOP lawmakers debated whether Hinkle should resign. Governor Mitch Daniels called the situation a "family tragedy". Hinkle insists that he is not gay and will not resign, but will not run for office again.
- Alex Campbell (August 12, 2011). "Email rendezvous entangles state Rep. Phillip Hinkle: Lawmaker calls encounter set up with young man on Craigslist a 'shakedown'". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Representative Phillip D. 'Phil' Hinkle - Biography. Project Vote Smart. Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- State Representative Phillip Hinkle. Indiana State Legislature site. Retrieved August 26, 2011.
- Epstein, Reid J. (August 12, 2011). "Report: Ind. pol in hotel hookup". Politico. Retrieved August 15, 2011.
- Mary Beth Schnieder (August 12, 2011). "State, county reps weigh in on resignation debate". Indianapolis Star. Retrieved August 12, 2011.
- Siegel, Elyse (August 25, 2011). "GOP Lawmaker Says 'I'm Not Gay' After Sex Scandal Comes To Light". Huffington Post.