Phillip Ice Skating Centre
|Location||1 Irving Street, Phillip, ACT, 2606|
|Capacity||1000 (seating + standing)|
|Surface||55 metres × 25 metres|
CBR Brave (2014–present) |
Canberra Knights (1981–2014)
The Phillip Ice Skating Centre (also known as Phillip Swimming & Ice Skating Centre and the Brave Cave) is an ice sports and public skate centre, open in 1980 and located at the Phillip precinct of Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia. It is the current home of the CBR Brave AIHL ice hockey club and previous home of the Canberra Knights AIHL ice hockey club.
Phillip Ice Skating Centre's rink is the only ice rink in Canberra and will continue to be the only rink in Canberra for the foreseeable future after ACT Sports minister Shane Rattenbury on 16 August 2014 confirmed the ACT Government is not looking to build a new larger ice rink co-located with a new swimming pool next to Stromlo Forest Park to service the new suburbs of Molonglo in Canberra's west despite constant lobbying by the CBR Brave. This followed years of speculation about the aging Phillip Ice Skating Centre after it was revealed in 2012 that the private owner of the centre was open to working with developers to reconfiguring the site so that the outdoor pools went inside, a new ice rink was built and a boutique hotel constructed on the block.
All facilities are located on a single level, barring a small mezzanine level with some seating and the bar serving alcoholic beverages, usually open during Canberra Brave home games only. Until June 2018, the rink was renowned nationally for its lack of hand dryers in the bathrooms. As of 22nd June 2018, news broke rapidly of a fresh install of working hand dryers, breaking the long drought. A full list of facilities is as follows:
- 55 m × 25 m ice rink
- Seating and standing room for spectators
- Skate hire
- Kiosk with hot and cold food and drink
- Bar (located on the mezzanine level)
- Public toilets
- Disabled toilets
- Outdoor parking
- Parking for the disabled
- Kerb set down and pick-up area with ramp
- Some first aid equipment on site
Phillip Ice Skating Centre is the home of the CBR Brave since an agreement was struck between the AIHL club and the centre's manager John Raut on the 1 March 2014. The centre plays host to at least 14 home Brave matches a season since the 2014 AIHL season between the months of April to August.
The centre regularly hosts discos on Friday nights for all age groups and can be booked by schools for carnivals.
- Gavel, Tim (16 August 2014). "ACT Sport Minister rules out new ice rink for Canberra despite lobbying by CBR Brave team". ABC News. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Doherty, Megan (4 October 2012). "Draft report reveals south Canberra swimming facility shortage". The Canberra Times. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Phillip Ice Skating Centre". www.VisitCanberra.com.au. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Phillip Swimming and Ice Skating Centre". www.nican.com.au. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- Gaskin, Lee (11 April 2014). "Timeline of CBR Brave entering the Australian Ice Hockey League". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 24 April 2015.
- "Latest News". Phillip Ice Skating Centre. 28 March 2015. Retrieved 24 April 2015.