August 7, 1865|
Brooklyn, New York, United States
|Died||May 2, 1939
Hollywood, California, United States
|Occupation||Actor, film director|
|Spouse(s)||Lois Weber, 1904-1922
Phyllis Lorraine Ephlin, 1926-1939
Wendell Phillips Smalley (August 7, 1865 – May 2, 1939) was an American silent film director and actor.
Born in Brooklyn, New York, Smalley began his career in vaudeville and acted in more than 200 films between 1910 and his death in 1939. He began directing in 1911 and made more than 300 films by 1921.
Smalley was married to actress, writer, director, and producer Lois Weber from April 29, 1904 to 1922. They met in 1904 when Weber was acting in a theater where Smalley was stage manager. In 1908 Smalley and Weber began working for the U.S. division of Gaumont Film Company, where Smalley was an actor, and later a director. He is sometimes listed as a co-director with Lois Weber, and the extent of his contribution to her work is unresolved.
Phillips Smalley died in 1939 and is interred next to his second wife Phyllis Lorraine Ephlin in the Forest Lawn Memorial Park Cemetery in Hollywood Hills.
- Leaves in the Storm (1912)
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (1913)
- The Merchant of Venice (1914)
- Trimmed in Scarlet (1923)
- Flaming Youth (1923)
- Sensation Seekers (1927)
- The Irresistible Lover (1927)
- The Dice Woman (1928)
- Sinners in Love (1928)
- Romance of the Underworld (1928)
- High Voltage (1929)
- The Midnight Special (1930)
- Escapade (1932)
- The Face on the Barroom Floor (1932)
- A Day at the Races (1937)
- Bulldog Drummond's Revenge (1937)
- The Lady Objects (1938)
- Ancestry.com. Cook County, Illinois, Marriages Index, 1871-1920 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data: “Illinois, Cook County Marriages, 1871–1920.” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2010. Illinois Department of Public Health records. "Marriage Records, 1871–present." Division of Vital Records, Springfield, Illinois.
- Phillips Smalley at the Internet Movie Database
- Phillips Smalley at the Internet Broadway Database
- Phillips Smalley at Find a Grave
|This article about a United States film actor or actress born in the 1870s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a United States film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|