|39 Nursery Road
|Ministry of Education Institution no.||3474|
|School roll|| (July 2017)|
Phillipstown School was a state coeducational full primary school located in the Christchurch, New Zealand suburb of Phillipstown. Founded in 1877, the school had students from Years 1 to 8 (ages 5 to 13). It closed at the end of 2014 through being merged with Woolston School on the Woolston site.
The school had an attached technology centre, which taught "manual training" technology subjects to 1200 Year 7 and 8 students from Phillipstown and 30 other full primary schools in Christchurch. Unlike intermediate schools and Year 7–13 secondary schools, most full primary schools in Christchurch don't have the roll numbers, staff or facilities to fully provide technology subjects to Year 7 and 8 students, so the technology centre catered for these schools. Students attended the centre for 90 minutes per week and rotated every term through six different areas of study: wood, metal, plastic, textiles, food, and electronics.
Phillipstown came to national attention in 2013 when it sought a judicial review over Minister of Education Hekia Parata's decision to merge it with nearby Woolston School. The closure of the school was delayed when the High Court subsequently ruled in favour of Phillipstown and overturned the Minister's decision. However, ultimately, the school was closed. The buildings have subsequently been put to use as a community hub.
- "Directory of Schools - as at 2 August 2017". New Zealand Ministry of Education. Retrieved 2 August 2017.
- "The History of Phillipstown". Phillipstown School. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Turner, Anna (24 November 2012). "Fears centre will go if schools merge". The Press. Christchurch. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- "Scheme of Work 2013 -- Technology Centre". Phillipstown School. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Mathewson, Nicole; Dally, Joelle; O'Callaghan, Jody (11 October 2013). "Phillipstown School one, Parata nil". The Press. Christchurch. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- Mead, Thomas (10 October 2013). "Govt's decision to merge Phillipstown school overturned". 3 News NZ. Retrieved 4 December 2013.
- O'Callaghan, Jody (12 December 2014). "Bell rings final time at Christchurch's Phillipstown School". The Press. Christchurch. Retrieved 1 July 2015.
- "Phillpstown Community Hub". Christchurch: CPIT. 25 May 2015. Retrieved 1 July 2015.