|Coordinates: 40°12′33″N 123°47′09″W / 40.20917°N 123.78583°W|
|• Total||0.743 sq mi (1.925 km2)|
|• Land||0.715 sq mi (1.852 km2)|
|• Water||0.028 sq mi (0.073 km2) 3.8%|
|Elevation||289 ft (88 m)|
|• Density||170/sq mi (64/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-8 (Pacific)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
|GNIS feature IDs||230600, 2628776|
|U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Phillipsville, California; U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Phillipsville, California|
Phillipsville (formerly Kettintelbe, Philippsville, and Phillips Flat) is a census-designated place in Humboldt County, California. It is located on the South Fork of the Eel River 7.5 miles (12.1 km) north of Garberville, at an elevation of 289 feet (88 m). It is the southernmost town on the Avenue of the Giants. Near the town is the Chimney Tree. This is a redwood tree that resembles a chimney. The ZIP Code is 95559. The community is inside area code 707. The population was 140 at the 2010 census.
A post office operated at Phillipsville from 1883 to 1912, and from 1948 to the present. The name was originally Philips Flat, in honor of George Stump Philips who settled at the place in 1865. The name was changed to Kettintelbe after a local Native American village, but reverted to Phillipsville when the post office reopened in 1948. Phillipsville was home to many popular hotels, including the Riverwood Inn, Madrona Motel, and the DeerHorn Lodge.
The 2010 United States Census reported that Phillipsville had a population of 140. The population density was 188.3 inhabitants per square mile (72.7/km2). The racial makeup of Phillipsville was 121 (86.4%) White, 0 (0.0%) African American, 4 (2.9%) Native American, 1 (0.7%) Asian, 0 (0.0%) Pacific Islander, 0 (0.0%) from other races, and 14 (10.0%) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3 persons (2.1%).
The Census reported that 140 people (100% of the population) lived in households, 0 (0%) lived in non-institutionalized group quarters, and 0 (0%) were institutionalized.
There were 75 households, out of which 11 (14.7%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 17 (22.7%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 10 (13.3%) had a female householder with no husband present, 5 (6.7%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 10 (13.3%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 0 (0%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 31 households (41.3%) were made up of individuals, and 9 (12.0%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.87. There were 32 families (42.7% of all households); the average family size was 2.47.
The population was spread out, with 14 people (10.0%) under the age of 18, 14 people (10.0%) aged 18 to 24, 33 people (23.6%) aged 25 to 44, 66 people (47.1%) aged 45 to 64, and 13 people (9.3%) who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 48.5 years. For every 100 females, there were 105.9 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 100.0 males.
There were 87 housing units at an average density of 117.0 per square mile (45.2/km2), of which 75 were occupied, of which 43 (57.3%) were owner-occupied, and 32 (42.7%) were occupied by renters. The homeowner vacancy rate was 2.3%; the rental vacancy rate was 0%. 82 people (58.6% of the population) lived in owner-occupied housing units and 58 people (41.4%) lived in rental housing units.
In the California State Legislature, Phillipsville is in the 2nd Senate District, represented by Democrat Mike McGuire, and the 2nd Assembly District, represented by Democrat Jim Wood.
In the United States House of Representatives, Phillipsville is in California's 2nd congressional district, represented by Democrat Jared Huffman.
- ^ "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files – Places – California". United States Census Bureau.
- ^ a b c U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Phillipsville, California
- ^ "Explore Census Data". data.census.gov. Retrieved 6 May 2023.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Phillipsville, California
- ^ a b c d Durham, David L. (1998). California's Geographic Names: A Gazetteer of Historic and Modern Names of the State. Clovis, Calif.: Word Dancer Press. p. 121. ISBN 1-884995-14-4.
- ^ USPS ZIP Code lookup tool
- ^ Hawk, Diane (2004). Touring the old redwood highway : Humboldt County. Arcata, Calif.: Hawk Mountaintop Pub. ISBN 0-9672162-4-9.
- ^ "2010 Census Interactive Population Search: CA - Phillipsville CDP". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 15, 2014. Retrieved July 12, 2014.
- ^ "Senators". State of California. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- ^ "Members Assembly". State of California. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- ^ "California's 2nd Congressional District - Representatives & District Map". Civic Impulse, LLC. Retrieved March 1, 2013.