List of text-based computer games
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
The following list of text-based games is not to be considered an authoritative, comprehensive listing of all such games; rather, it is intended to represent a wide range of game styles and genres presented using the text mode display and their evolution across a long period.
On mainframe computers
Years listed are those in which the game is believed to have originally appeared. Often these games were continually modified and played as a succession of versions for years after their initial posting. (For purposes of this list, minicomputers are considered mainframes, in contrast to microcomputers, which are not.)
On personal computers
Commercial text adventure games
These are commercial interactive fiction games played offline.
|Wizard's Castle||1978||Joseph R. Power|
|Aliens||1982||Yahoo Software||Space Invaders clone for Kaypro.|
|CatChum||1982||Yahoo Software||Pac-Man clone for Kaypro.|
|Ladder||1982||Yahoo Software||Donkey Kong clone for Kaypro.|
|Sleuth||1983||Eric N. Miller|
|Beast||1984||Dan Baker, Alan Brown, Mark Hamilton and Derrick Shadel|
|Kingdom of Kroz||1987||Scott Miller of Apogee Software|
|Mtrek||1987||Chuck Peterson of UCSC|
|ZZT||1991||Tim Sweeney of Epic MegaGames|
|MegaZeux||1994||Gregory Janson of Software Visions|
|Chibot Ultra Battle||1999|
|PAEE||1999||Enrique D. Bosch|
|For a Change||1999||Dan Schmidt|
|The Gostak||2001||Carl Muckenhoupt|
|Cantr II||2001||Jos Elkink||Text-Based Society Simulator|
|Deadline Enchanter||2007||Alan DeNiro|
|sie fate||2014||fate team|
These are play-by-email games played online.
|Lords of the Earth||1983|
|WW2 The Big One PbeM||2010|
BBS door games
These are BBS door games played online.
|TradeWars 2002||1987||Gary Martin for Martech Software|
|Legend of the Red Dragon||1989||Seth Able Robinson|
- Multi-Trek (MTrek) (1986) by Chuck L. Peterson
- Imperium (1989) by Pocketfiction
- Rise to Glory (1997) by Jason Granum
- JavaTrek (JTrek) (2003) by Joe Hopkinson and Jay Ashworth
- "Thy Dungeonman" (2004) by The Brothers Chaps
- Text Gangsters (2014) by Pan Gamers
- Kemeny, John G.; Kurtz, Thomas E. (11 October 1968). "Dartmouth Time-Sharing". Science. 162: 223–228.
- Michael R. Wilk (1 January 1987). "Enchanted Castle" – via Internet Archive.
- Lives, Avalon, The Legend. "Online RPG Game - Avalon - Text Based Games".
- "Richard A. Bartle: Reviews - UK".
- "Designing Virtual Worlds".
- "The Yawhg".
- http://www.criminalgangsters.co.uk Archived 2014-11-29 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-07-07. Retrieved 2015-05-17.
- http://www.cyborgreality.com/[dead link]