Philosophy of mathematics education
The Philosophy of mathematics education is an interdisciplinary area of study and research based on the intersection of the fields of mathematics education and the philosophy of mathematics, the latter being understood in an inclusive sense to include multidisciplinary theorizing about mathematics incorporating philosophical, sociological, anthropological, semiotic, historical, ethnomathematical, etc., perspectives.
Some of the central questions addressed by this sub-field are:
- What is mathematics?, and what accounts have philosophers and other theorists given of it?
- How does mathematics relate to society?
- What are the aims of teaching and learning mathematics?
- What fundamental assumptions underlie the learning and teaching mathematics?
- How do philosophies of mathematics link with mathematics teaching and learning?
- What is the status of mathematics education as a knowledge field?
- Philosophy of Mathematics Education journal
- "Surveying Theories and Philosophies of Mathematics Education"