Original Philz storefront on 24th Street in the Mission District.
Number of locations
|Phil Jaber, Founder, |
Jacob Jaber, CEO
|Products||Coffee, Tea, Mint Mojito, Pastries|
Philz Coffee is an American coffee company and coffeehouse chain based in San Francisco, California, considered a major player in third wave coffee. Philz Coffee focuses on making drip coffee. Philz Coffee has 53 locations spread throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, greater Los Angeles, San Diego, Washington, D.C., Sacramento, Maryland, Arlington, Virginia, and most recently in Chicago. Philz was founded by Phil Jaber, located in San Francisco area. In addition to its extensive line of coffee and drinks they also have a line of merchandise and bagged coffee blends for purchase online.
Phil Jaber founded Philz Coffee in 2002. Phil operated a corner grocery in San Francisco's Mission District for over 25 years and had strong ties to the community. In 2005, Phil's son, Jacob Jaber, took over operation and became the company's CEO, taking the lead on expansion and building the company's internal structure.
Philz Coffee secured a round of funding in 2013 by Summit Partners and a few private investors to expand into new markets, leading to the first Philz Coffee outside the Bay Area in Santa Monica California. They also secured a Series B in February 2015 in order to help them expand worldwide.
- "Peet's rides coffee's 'third wave' with stake in Intelligentsia". Reuters. October 30, 2015. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Wong, Grace (June 12, 2019). "Pink Salt bringing northeastern Thai cuisine at new Fulton Galley food hall, plus more restaurant news". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved June 16, 2019.
- "Online Coffee Store - Darker, Medium, Lighter Blends | Philz Coffee". www.philzcoffee.com. Retrieved August 1, 2019.
- Mac, Ryan (April 19, 2016). "Philz Coffee: Silicon Valley's Cup Of Choice". Forbes. Retrieved October 14, 2016.
- "Phil'z grows fast with 'slow' coffee". San Francisco Business Times. April 22, 2011. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Philz Coffee Raises Eight-Figure Round From Summit, Angels, As Specialty Coffee Market Heats Up". TechCrunch. May 1, 2013. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Philz opens new location in Santa Monica - San Francisco Business Times". San Francisco Business Times. March 10, 2014. Retrieved September 25, 2014.
- "Silicon Valley Favorite Philz Coffee Gulps Up $15 Million To Expand Nationwide". TechCrunch. February 18, 2015. Retrieved February 18, 2015.