|Phoebe Philo OBE|
Philo in 2008
1 January 1973 |
|Education||Central Saint Martins|
|Spouse(s)||Max Wigram (m.2004)|
Philo was born to British parents working in Paris. Her father is a surveyor and her mother, Celia Philo, is an art dealer and graphic artist (who had a hand in creating David Bowie’s Aladdin Sane album cover). She was raised in Harrow-on-the-Hill, London. In 1987, at the age of 14, she began customizing her clothes after receiving a sewing machine as a birthday present from her parents. She studied at Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London, graduating in 1996, a year after Stella McCartney.
She graduated showing a final student collection that The Guardian would later describe as having a “Latino influence and huge gold jewellery. She quickly joined Chloé as Stella McCartney's first assistant for ready-to-wear in Paris.
She began working for Chloé in 1997 as Stella McCartney's design assistant, succeeding her as creative director in 2001, after the Gucci Group offered McCartney the opportunity to launch her own label.
In 2006 Philo left Chloé. During this break from the industry, she moved back to London to be with her family and had her second child. In 2008, LVMH offered her a job as creative director and board member of the old French house Céline, where she could work from London. She agreed, and presented her debut collection the next year to much critical acclaim.
Philo was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2014 New Year Honours for services to fashion.
- 2011: “International Designer of the Year” by the CFDA
- 2010: “British Designer of the Year” by the British Fashion Council
- 2005: “British Designer of the Year” by the British Fashion Council
- 2003: "Best Dressed" by January issue of Vogue
Philo married English gallerist Max Wigram in July 2004. They live in London and have three children. Their daughter Maya Celia Sally was born in December 2004, son Marlowe in 2007, and son Arthur in April 2012.
- "Love this Biyatch. Happy Birthday Phoebe! x Stella - Royalgram". Royalgram.co.uk.
- Grazia.fr (8 November 2013). "Phoebe Philo".
- Stella McCartney (2014-04-23). "Phoebe Philo by Stella McCartney: TIME 100". Time.com. Retrieved 2017-01-16.
- "Phoebe Philo Biog". 14 November 2001.
- "Phoebe Philo biography | British Vogue". Vogue.co.uk. 2008-04-22. Retrieved 2017-01-16.