|Birth name||Evangelos-Phoebus Tassopoulos|
|Born||January 1, 1971|
|Genres||Modern Laika, pop, dance, rock|
|Labels||Sony Music Greece (1993–1997)|
Minos EMI (1997–2000)
Heaven Music (2001–2009)
The Spicy Effect (2010–present)
Phoebus (Greek: Φοίβος, pronounced [ˈfivos], real name: Evangelos-Phoebus Tassopoulos, Greek: Ευάγγελος-Φοίβος Τασσόπουλος; born January 1, 1971), sometimes spelled Phivos or Fivos, is a well-known songwriter in both Greece and Cyprus. Phoebus is mostly known for his music through Despina Vandi and Katy Garbi, although he has composed albums for many other artists in Greece and Cyprus. A high percentage of the albums he composes receive certification making him one of the most successful Greek songwriters of the 1990s and 2000s, selling 3,500,000 records. In 2009 he founded his own record label, The Spicy Effect, to which he has signed various artists, many of whom he has collaborated with in the past. He has an estimated net worth at 75 million euros.
Phoebus was born on January 1, 1971 in Athens, Greece. He first got interested in music during his school years where he was a drummer in a rock band. During that time he experimented with the music fads of the time.
Despite getting into Athens Law School, Phoebus did not want to pursue a career in law, and instead focused on his involvement in music and began to compose his first songs.
While studying harmony and music at the conservatory and taking private tutorials by Demis Roussos, he started writing his first lyrics. His talent was quickly shown, and he signed his first contract with a record label at age 22.
At the start of his second decade in music, Phoebus made amazing record accomplishments. By that time, he had composed over 18 gold LP's and CD singles, 19 platinum, 9 albums that are two times platinum, 2 albums that are 3 times platinum; Evaisthisies and Profities, 2 four times platinum; Gia and To Kati and 1 six times platinum CD single; Ipofero, selling more than 150,000 units. This in turn gave him his name in Greek music history.
During his career, Phoebus has shown the ability in mixing popular music trends with different ideas as well as bringing new artists into the spotlight with his music. Apart from writing and composing, Phoebus, almost exclusively, programs, orchestrates and produces his albums. His producing abilities have broken new ground while he has gone on to sign the highest contracts with all of the record labels he has worked with; starting off with Sony Music Greece, moving to Minos EMI and finally signing on to Heaven Music.
In the summer of 2001, Phoebus' career passed a significant milestone as he gained international recognition. Along with Despina Vandi, he received the award for the best-selling album of the year in Greece for the CD single Ipofero (I’m suffering), awarded to him by the director of the Virgin Megastores in London, Sir Richard Branson.
In the period 2001-02, Phoebus collaborated with the famous international producer Desmond Child and other international producers as well for the album of Sakis Rouvas Ola Kala, which was released in the European market by Universal Music France. The album was released in Greece by Minos EMI.
The greatest global success composed by Phoebus came with the song "Gia" by Despina Vandi. It went multi-platinum in the Greek market, and broke into the international music scene. It was included in the playlists of celebrated DJs and clubs worldwide. "Gia" reaching the No1 spots in the US Billboard Dance Charts and the UK Dance Charts. It was released as a CD single in Europe, the US, Australia, Turkey and Northern Africa while it has been included in more than 120 compilations, worldwide.
In the spring of 2004, Phoebus teamed up with Coca-Cola to compose the tune that will accompany all of Coca-Cola’s activities in its Olympic Sponsorship agreement. Phoebus composed the song "Come Along Now" with Despina Vandi singing it, and the tune was heard all around the world in Coca-Cola's ads.
In the beginning of 2005, the Greek football team AEK asked Phoebus to compose the team's new anthem. This imposing melody is played and sung by the team’s sports fans until today.
2005 and 2006 were again big years for Phoebus. Despina Vandi’s album Stin Avli Tou Paradeisou, after a huge local success was also released in Bulgaria, Russia, Ukraine and Turkey reaching the 2nd position on the charts. The album was also repackaged for the Greek market entitled "Special Edition" and contained 4 new songs composed by Phoebus. The album sold over 100,000 copies in Greece only. Both albums were used by TIM telecommunications for their campaign throughout the whole year since they had a sponsorship contract with Despina Vandi.
In the summer of 2005 Phoebus and Victoria Halkiti teamed up and release the song "Telia", which once again was used by Coca-Cola's ads, but only in Greece and their Sound Wave campaign. Only a few months later their next single "F...Magic" was heard in all the Attica commercials, one of Athens's biggest shopping malls.
After big scores during the 2005 and 2006, together with artists such as Despina Vandi, Elli Kokkinou, Thanos Petrelis, Giorgos Mazonakis and Victoria Halkiti, Phoebus composed the Christmas dance single "Kalanta" along with Despina Vandi. The single was once again used by TIM telecommunications for their 2006 Christmas campaign. After only two weeks from release date Phoebus and Vandi achieved a 2x platinum CD single.
This success over the years and particularly with Despina Vandi has put a name out in the Greek music industry that Phoebus is the composer to go to for an automatic hit. This can be seen also with Heaven Music asking him to compose a song on Fame Story finalist Maro Lytra's second album, which shot her to the number 1 spot on the radio charts with the song "I Mihani Tou Hronou" (The Time Machine).
After some delay, October 21, 2009 brought the end of Phoebus's eight-year collaboration with Heaven Music, announcing through his official site. Reasons of this label change, and the fate of the artists he was collaborating with under the label's name including Despina Vandi and Thanos Petrelis were currently unknown at the time. Vandi officially announced she was leaving Heaven Music on November 2, 2009.
The Spicy Effect
In 2009, Phoebus decided to start his own record company, in collaboration with Star Channel called "The Spicy Effect", and has signed Despina Vandi, Elli Kokkinou, Nino, and Thanos Petrelis, among others.
SPICY functions within all parameters of music industry. Management, marketing, digital marketing, sales, digital sales, public relations, productions (singles, video clips, events, live concerts) post production, bookings, Sponsorships, image making etc. SPICY's assessments in two years of operation, are the no1 & numerous top 5 chart positioned songs produced by Phoebus, 1 Multiplatinum Album & 4 album releases, 40 single and e-single releases, 30 Video Clips & Rockumentaries. Spicy also achieved a 10% market share on Digital Sales, and keeps an increasing 9% in Greek Radio Charts, provided by media inspector.
It is remarkable that SPICY is the first independent music company in Greece operating with the 360 model. As a result, Spicy organized more than 100 live Concerts for its artists and over 150 live club appearances all over Greece & Cyprus. Most of Spicy's Artists also performed numerous Live Concerts in USA, Canada, Australia, Germany & Great Britain.
In December 2010, Spicy established a new division Spicy Entertainment, for International Artists' Live Shows in Greece. Spicy Entertainment, developed rapidly in just a few months, leading to a very busy and successful year promoting shows in Greece and Cyprus with Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Thirty Seconds to Mars, Jethro Tull, Twisted Sister, W.A.S.P. , Schiller, Levelers and more. Spicy Entertainment, is also known for the skills to score sponsorship deals matching the right brand to the right event and vice versa, deals to include Vodafone, Sony Ericsson, Q Telecommunication, Amster, Red Bull, Mythos (local beer brand) and more.
A new player in the International market, with great experience in all fields of our business and with great support from a Major Group of Companies and Media in the local market. Furthermore, another division of SPICY is ROCKAROLLA label, which is the authorized representative of exclusive international repertoire in Greece and Cyprus for labels and distributors such as NUCLEAR BLAST GERMANY, GOOD TO GO-ROUGH TRADE GERMANY, MEMBRAN GERMANY, MINISTRY OF SOUND UK, ESSENTIAL UK, and more.
Phoebus has collaborated with the following artists:
- Aggelos Dionysiou
- Fovamai Mi Fygeis (Minos EMI - 1994)**
- Iposyneidito (Minos EMI - 1999)*
- Meli Kai Fotia (Sony Music / RIA - 1994)*
- Angela Dimitriou
- Pes Afto Pou Theleis (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Ftanei (Sony Music - 1995) - Vinyl Single
- Mi Mas Agapas (Minos EMI - 1996)*
- 100% (Minos EMI - 1998)
- Margarites (Minos EMI - 1999) - CD Single
- Anna Fotiou
- Poias Gynaikas Fili (BMG / Ariola - 1994)*
- Antonis Remos
- Antonis Remos (Sony Music - 1996)*
- Christina Maragkozi
- Agkalia Gemati Agathia (Sony Music - 1996)*
- Despina Vandi
- Deka Entoles (Minos EMI - 1997)*
- Spania (Minos EMI - 1998) - CD Single
- Profities (Minos EMI - 1999)
- Ipofero (Minos EMI - 2000) - EP
- Gia (Heaven Music - 2001)
- Ante Gia (Heaven Music - 2002) - EP
- Gia & Ante Gia Collector's Edition (Heaven Music - 2002) - Includes the album "Geia", the EP "Ante Geia" and some other remixes
- Gia (Heaven Music/Ministry of Sound - 2003) - CD Single
- Gia US Edition (Heaven Music/Escondida Music - 2003)
- Live (Heaven Music - 2003)
- Come Along Now (Heaven Music - Version 1 - 2004) - CD Single ft. the theme of Coca-Cola 2004 campaign
- Come Along Now (Heaven Music - Version 2 - 2004) - CD Single ft. the theme of Coca-Cola 2004 campaign
- Opa Opa (Heaven Music/Ministry of Sound - 2004)*** - CD Single
- Come Along Now (Heaven Music/Ministry of Sound - 2004) - Worldwide Album released in 3 different versions
- Stin Avli Tou Paradisou (Heaven Music - 2004)
- Special Edition (Heaven Music - 2005) - Repackaged Edition of the album "Stin Avli Tou Paradeisou"
- Kalanta (Heaven Music - 2006) - EP
- 10 Hronia Mazi (Heaven Music - 2007)
- 10 Hronia Mazi - It's Destiny (Heaven Music - 2008) - Repackaged Edition of the album "10 Hronia Mazi", including the song "Destiny" with Schiller. Almost all the remixes of the original version are removed.
- C'est le vie (The Spicy Effect - 2010)
- Allaxa (The Spicy Effect - 2012)
- Dimitris Kokotas
- Diadoseis (Eros Music - 1994)
- Sineidisi (Eros Music - 1995)
- Dance Mixes (Eros Music - 1997) - CD Single
- Aharistia (Eros Music - 1997)
- Dionysis Shoinas
- Proti Agapi (Sony Music - 1994)*
- S'Agapo (Sony Music - 1995)*
- An M' Agapas (To Dahtylidi) / Esy Ki O Haraktiras Sou (Sony Music - 1995)* - CD Single
- S'Agapo (Sony Music - 1995)* - Repackaged album including 2 bonus tracks
- Mou Tairiazeis (Sony Music - 2000) - EP
- Efi Sarri
- Petao (Minos EMI - 1994)
- Eleni Dimou
- I Eleni Ton Feggarion (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Eleni Hatzidou
- Eleni Hatzidou (The Spicy Effect - 2016)*
- Elli Kokkinou
- Giannis Parios
- Typseis (Minos EMI - 1997)
- Giannis Ploutarhos
- Thema Hronou (Heaven Music - 2016)
- Giorgos Daskoulidis
- Harise Mou Ena Lepto (Sony Music / RIA - 1993)*
- Giorgos Gerolymatos
- Fotia Mou Magissa (Sony Music - 1993)*
- Giorgos Lempesis
- Eksartisi (Minos EMI - 1999)
- I Agapi Vlaptei Sovara Tin Ygeia (Heaven Music - 2001)
- Eliksirio (Heaven Music - 2002)* - CD Single
- I Mera I Kali (Heaven Music - 2003)*
- Giorgos Mazonakis
- Koita Me + Beat (Heaven Music - 2002)* - Repackaged edition of the album "Koita Me", featuring two new songs by Phoebus
- Savvato (Heaven Music - 2003)
- Savvato + To Gucci Ton Masai (Heaven Music - 2004) - Repackaged edition of the album "Savvato"
- Summer In Greece! (Heaven Music - 2006) - EP
- S' Eho Epithymisei (Heaven Music - 2007) - CD Single
- Ta Ohi Kai Ta Nai Mou (Heaven Music - 2007)*
- Helena Paparizou
- Ouranio Toxo (Minos EMI Universal - 2017)*
- Jelena Karleusa
- Samo za tvoje oči (For your eyes only) (Heaven Music - 2002)****
- Katy Garbi
- Os Ton Paradeiso (Sony Music - 1993)*
- Atofio Hrysafi (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Arhizo Polemo (Sony Music - 1996)*
- Evaisthisies (Sony Music - 1997)
- Mou Leipeis (Sony Music - 1998) - CD Single
- To Kati (Sony Music - 2000) - Double compilation album, including 7 new songs and a new medley remix of two older ones
- TBA (Panik Records - 2019)
- Erhomai (Minos EMI - 1996)*
- Remixes (Minos EMI - 1997)* - CD Single
- Lefteris Pantazis
- Ego Den Eimai Ego (Sony Music - 1993)*
- Gia Oles Tis Fores (Sony Music - 1997)*
- Mataia Remix (Sony Music - 1997) - CD Single
- Maro Lytra
- I Mihani Tou Hronou (Heaven Music - 2007)*
- Milica Pavlović
- Boginja (Grand Production - 2016)*
- Zauvek (Grand Production - 2018)*
- Natasa Pantelidi
- Erotas Tha Pei (Sony Music - 1995)*
- Natasa Theodoridou
- Natasa Theodoridou (Sony Music - 1997)*
- Nikos Oikonomopoulos
- Tha Eimai Edo (Minos EMI - 2011)*
- 14 Flevari (The Spicy Effect - 2012) - CD Single released in different Postcard type covers
- Let's Get Serious (ROAR Records - 2014)*
- Pashalis Terzis
- Mesogeios (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Astatos (remix) (Sony Music - 1995)* - CD Single
- Afise Me Mono (Sony Music - 1995)*
- Auta Einai Ta Tragoudia Mou (Sony Music - 1996)*
- Ta Zeimbekika Tou Pashali (Sony Music - 2001)* - Compilation album including the previously unreleased song "Ki An De Me Thes" written by Phoebus
- Petros Kolettis
- Twra Einai H Seira Mou (Alfa Mi Records - 1994)*
- Kainourios Erotas (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Deka Hronia Meta (Sony Music - 1995)*
- Red Velvet
- Perfect Velvet (SM Entertainment Korea - 2018)*
- Sakis Rouvas (collaboration with Desmond Child)
- Stathis Aggelopoulos
- Krypse Me Stin Aggalia Sou (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Stathis Raftopulos
- O,ti Pio Omorfo (Heaven Music - 2008) - EP
- Stella Konitopoulou
- Diavatirio (Sony Music - 1997)*
- Thanos Kalliris
- Kapoio Kalokairi (Sony Music - 1994)*
- Monaxa Tin Psyhi Sou (Sony Music - 1996)*
- Thanos Petrelis
- Eixe To Hroma T' Ouranou (Heaven Music - 2004)*
- Thymizeis Kati Apo Ellada (Heaven Music - 2005)
- Eftyhos (Heaven Music - 2006) - EP
- Eimai Akomi Eleftheros (Heaven Music - 2007)
- Eimai Akomi Eleftheros (Special Edition) (Heaven Music - 2007) - Repackaged edition of the album "Eimai akoma eleftheros".
- Ksypna Thanasi (Heaven Music - 2008) - EP
- To Paihnidi Einai Pleon Diko Mou (Heaven Music - 2008) - EP
- Live (Heaven Music - 2009)
- Tolis Voskopoulos
- I Sosti Apantisi (Heaven Music - 2002)
- The Greek Experience (Heaven Music - 2004)* - Compilation album with the new duet "Mia Gynaika Ftaiei" with Vasilis Karras.
- Vasilis Karras
- Vicky Haritou
- Styl (BMG / Ariola - 1993)
- Victoria Halkiti
- Teleia (Heaven Music - 2005) - CD Single ft. the theme of Coca-Cola 2005 campaign
- Teleia f***ing edition (Heaven Music - 2006) - CD Single - Repackaged Edition of the cd single "Teleia"
- In 1994, a compilation of songs written by Phoebus (music & lyrics) and Eleni Giannatsoulia (some lyrics) was released by Sony Music. The title of the record was Gia Sena Kai Gia Mena and featured songs by a lot of Greek singers: Sofia Arvaniti, Katy Garbi, Thanos Kalliris, Dionysis Shoinas, Pashalis Terzis, Polina, Natassa Pantelidi, Ntinos Vrettos, Petros Kolettis and Lorna.
- In 1995, Phoebus composed the music for the opening credits of the Greek TV serial Tzin kai Tserry, broadcast by Mega Channel. The song featured vocals by Katy Garbi.
- In 1997, the single "Love Will Make A Difference" was released by Sony Music. The song featured Ronny Money.
- In 1999, a different version of the song "Margarites" (originally performed by Angela Dimitriou) was released by Sony Music. The song was called "Makapy" and was performed by Santiago. In the same year, a compilation of some songs performed by Angela Dimitriou was released in Arabic countries, due to the huge success of "Margarites". The album included songs composed by Phoebus and Giorgos Theofanous, another famous composer from Cyprus.
- In the 1990s, Phoebus composed two songs exclusively for the TV show Bravo, presented by Roula Koromila. The first song, "Ki eixa pou les" was a duet between Koromila and Antonis Remos, whereas the second one, entitled "Sas agapame", featured Koromila as the lead singer, accompanied by the children choir of Spyros Lamprou. In 2016, Phoebus collaborated with Koromila once again, composing the music for her TV show Bravo Roula.
- In 2001, Phoebus and Heaven Music released the CD single "BB Project" which was the official soundtrack of the Greek Big Brother TV show of ANT1 Television. Next year, Phoebus composed the song of the Greek Star Academy show, Fame Story. The song's title was "You can be a star" and was performed by Giorgos Florakis. Phoebus used the nickname "Jason Jazzmind" in both projects, instead of his original name.
- In 2004, Coca-Cola released the CD single "Coca-Cola", including the instrumental song "Paralos", written exclusively by Phoebus for the Athens 2004 Olympic Games campaign. The song is also included in the CD single "Come Along Now" of Despina Vandi.
- In 2005, Phoebus composed the anthem of the Greek soccer team AEK. The song was called "Mia Agapi Exw Stin Kardia" and was performed by Giorgos Florakis. Released by Heaven Music.
- Since 2009, Phoebus has been producing some songs available only in Digital Singles and not in complete albums. He has produced such songs for Akis Deiksimos, Antypas, Apostolia Zoi, Aspa Tsina, Barrice, Christina Maragozi, Christos Cholidis, Christos Menidiatis, Despina Vandi, Dionysis Shoinas, Elissavet Spanou, Giannis Apostolidis, Giorgos Giasemis, Giorgos Ksylouris, Ioakeim Fokas, Kostas Martakis, Lefteris Pantazis, Nino, Panos Kallidis, Stella Kalli, Thanos Petrelis, Tus and Vaggelis Kakouriotis.
- In 2019, Phoebus along with Jean-Paul Wall, Drog_A_Tek composed the soundtrack of the movie "The Miracle of the Sargasso Sea" by Syllas Tzoumerkas.
(*) Phoebus composed only some tracks and not the whole album.
(**) In 1994, Phoebus composed the song "Pes Mou Ti Sou Kanei" for the album "Fovamai Mi Fygeis" of Aggelos Dionysiou. According to the album's credits, the composer of the song seems to be Mirto Nikolopoulou. In fact, the real composer is Phoebus.
(***) The song Opa Opa was composed by Giorgos Alkaios and not by Phoebus. This song was originally performed by a very famous Greek singer, Notis Sfakianakis in 1992. In 1999, a second, more beat version of Opa Opa was performed by the group Antique, which gave a rebirth to the song. The Despina Vandi version is the final one and features English lyrics for the first time. Although Phoebus is not the composer of the song, he was involved in the arrangements and the whole production. Opa Opa became a huge international hit.
20-Year Anniversary Concert
On 24 September 2012, a special 20-year anniversary special concert dedicated to Phoebus was held. The concert took place in the OAKA Stadium in Athens and featured the majority of the artists that have collaborated with Phoebus during the last 20 years. The artists that participated are: Despina Vandi, Katy Garbi, Angela Dimitriou, Thanos Kalliris, Panos Kalidis, Vasilis Karras, Elli Kokkinou, Dimitris Kokotas, Konstantina, Giorgos Mazonakis, Manto, Nino, Thanos Petrelis, Antonis Remos, Dionysis Shoinas and Tus. The show was directed by Fokas Evaggelinos. On 25 December 2012, the concert was broadcast for the first time by ANT1 Television and in late October 2013, its audio part was released in a 4-cd deluxe package by Spicy.
- Επίσημη Ανακοίνωση Φοίβου (in Greek). Phoebus official site. Retrieved 2009-10-30.
- "Elli Kokkinou - Dromos FM Interview". Dromos FM. February 4, 2010.
- Staff (10 December 2009). Καλομοίρα! Η μεγάλη επιστροφή! (in Greek). MAD TV. Archived from the original on 23 December 2009. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
- Staff (11 December 2009). Κοκκίνου-Νίνο στο Φοίβο! (in Greek). Panorama Press. Retrieved 12 December 2009.
- "Phoebus Music". Veto News. 13 December 2009.