Phoenix Union Bioscience High School
|Bioscience High School|
512 East Pierce Street
|Type||Public secondary school|
|Principal||Dr. Holly Batsell|
|Teaching staff||21 FTE|
|Color(s)||Purple and green|
|Mascot||Double Helix Dragons|
The school campus
Phoenix Union Bioscience High School is part of the Phoenix Union High School District. The campus is located in downtown Phoenix, Arizona. The school's mission is to prepare tomorrow's scientists by providing the students of Phoenix Union with a science education through intensive collaboration with the academic and scientific communities in downtown Phoenix. The new building and renovation of the current building began in June, 2006, and opened in the fall of 2007.
Bioscience hosts approximately 180 freshmen through seniors. The first class of 43 students graduated from Bioscience in May 2010. 97 percent of its 10th graders met or excelled the AIMS Math exam(in 2009), the highest public (non-charter) school percentage in the Valley, and No. 2 in the state. Their science scores were No. 3 in the state among non-charter schools.
In its first year of eligibility, Bioscience earned an "Excelling" Achievement Profile from the State, the highest a school can attain.
The $10 million campus which opened in October 2007, is located in Phoenix's downtown Biotechnology Center and open to students throughout the District. The Bioscience High School campus, which was designed by The Orcutt-Winslow Partnership  won the American School Board Journal's  Learning By Design 2009 Grand Prize Award. The school received this award for its classrooms, collaborative learning spaces, and smooth circulation.
Phoenix Union High School District received a $2.4 million small schools grant from the City of Phoenix to renovate Bioscience's existing historic McKinley building for a Bio-medical program. It includes administrative office, four classrooms, a library/community room and a student demonstration area.
- "Phoenix Union Bioscience High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved November 21, 2018.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20080508135242/http://www.phxhs.k12.az.us/education/school/school.php?sectionid=5720. Archived from the original on May 8, 2008. Retrieved April 13, 2009. Missing or empty
- "Bioscience High to graduate first class". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-06-07. Retrieved 2009-04-08.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Bioscience High gets formal declaration". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Phoenix Bioscience High School". Owp.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "American School Board Journal". Asbj.com. Archived from the original on 2014-02-14. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "Learning by Design 2010 - Home". Learningbydesign.biz. 2013-05-20. Retrieved 2014-02-16.
- "McKinley School to get medical use". Azcentral.com. Retrieved 2014-02-16.