January 1, 1944 |
Khejuri, Ballia, UP, India
|Fields||Partial differential equations, fluid mechanics|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India|
|Notable awards||Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology|
Phoolan Prasad (born January 1, 1944) is an Indian mathematician who specialised in Partial differential equations, fluid mechanics. He was awarded in 1983 the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology, the highest science award in India, in the mathematical sciences category. He is also a Fellow of the Indian National Science Academy (INSA). 
Early life and education
Prasad studied in Nalhati HP High School, Krishnath College Berhampore, received his B.Sc. and M.Sc. degrees from the Presidency College, Calcutta University, followed by a Ph.D. from Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Bangalore in 1968. 
Prasad started his career as a lecturer in the Department of Applied Mathematics in 1967 at Indian Institute of Science, thereafter he became a Professor in 1977. Meanwhile, he also remained a Postdoctoral Fellow at Leeds University (1970-72) and Alexander von Humboldt Fellow (1980-81). 
Prasad has done some significant work in the area on non-linear hyperbolic equations. He succeeded in assessing the basic properties of the equations of various physical phenomena, generalized these mathematical properties and then used his theory to explain new results in the field of non-linear waves. He gave a proof of the existence of a new type of wave on the interface of a clear liquid and a mixture in a sedimentation process. 
- Phoolan Prasad; Renuka Ravindran (1985). Partial Differential Equations. New Age International. ISBN 978-0-85226-722-6.
- Phoolan Prasad (1992). A Mathematical Theory of Shock Propagation. Longman Scientific & Technical.
- Phoolan Prasad (1993). Propagation of a curved shock and nonlinear ray theory. Longman Scientific & Technical. ISBN 978-0-582-07253-4.
- Phoolan Prasad (1994). A Nonlinear Ray Theory. Univ. Kaiserslautern, Fachbereich Math.
- Phoolan Prasad (2010). Nonlinear Hyperbolic Waves in Multidimensions. Taylor & Francis. ISBN 978-1-58488-072-1.
- "Indian Fellow:Professor Phoolan Prasad". INSA. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
- Sukumar Mallick, Saguna Dewan, S C Dhawan (1999). Handbook of Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize Winners(1958 - 1998) (PDF). New Delhi: Human Rsource Development Group, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research. p. 118.
- "Faculty". IISc. Retrieved June 24, 2013.
|This article about an Indian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|