|Original author(s)||Brent R. Matzelle|
6.0.5 / 27 March 2018
|Available in||47 languages|
Sending emails directly by PHP code requires a high-level familiarity to SMTP standard protocol (RFC 821, RFC 2821 and RFC 5321) and related issues (such as Carriage return) and vulnerabilities about Email injection for spamming. From 2001 PHPMailer is one of the popular  solutions for these matters on PHP.
Partial list of features:
- Plain text, HTML and multipart batched files
- SSL and TLS (Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security)
- SMTP, Qmail, POP3
- Debugging system
- PHP sendmail and mail methods
- PHPMailer was originally written in 2001 by Brent R. Matzelle as a SourceForge project.
- Marcus Bointon (coolbru on sourceforge) and Andy Prevost (codeworxtech) took over the project in 2004.
- Became an Apache incubator project on Google Code in 2010, managed by Jim Jagielski.
- Marcus created his fork on GitHub.
- Jim and Marcus decide to join forces and use GitHub as the canonical and official repo for PHPMailer.
- PHPMailer moved to the PHPMailer organisation on GitHub.
Worx International Inc claimed in 2009 that: "PHPMailer continues to be the world's most popular transport class, with an estimated 9 million users worldwide. Downloads continue at a significant pace daily." (A user means a PHP code (MUA user)).
PHPMailer sends an SMTP extension command with the sent emails as below which can be used to get the usage report of PHPMailer on the ESPs (Email Service Providers):
X-Mailer: PHPMailer 5.2.13 (https://github.com/PHPMailer/PHPMailer)
This SMTP header may differ for different versions of PHPMailer, and can also be suppressed or modified by PHP code.
- It is involved in sending emails safely without Email injection risk (not the html purification which is to prevent XSS)
- RFC821 obsoleted by RFC2821
- RFC2821 obsoleted by RFC5321
- Worxware claims 9 million MUA use PHPMailer: Frozen web page for the update Dec2013 on phpmailer.worxware.com
- "PHPMailer for e-mail sending support" in the requirements of Mantis Bug Tracker
- Frozen update