October 17, 1889|
Suffolk, Virginia, USA
|Died||October 16, 1964
Sonoma, California, USA
|Spouse(s)||Eugene Pallette (divorce)|
Phyllis Gordon (October 17, 1889 – October 16, 1964) was an American actress. She appeared in 50 silent era and sound era motion pictures between 1911 and 1941. She was born in Suffolk, Virginia, and died at age 74 in Sonoma, California.
Gordon was once notably photographed walking a pet cheetah on a London shopping street. She also "shocked" people at a restaurant in Davenport, Iowa, when they realized that she had a marmoset in her handbag.
From the time she was 5 until she was 13, Gordno lived in a convent. "Then," she said, "the money gave out and I had to go to work." When she was 13, Gordon helped to herd cattle in Oklahoma. In a 1911 interview, she said, "I rode the range astride with the cowboys, curried horses, washed and ironed and did manual labor for a living."
A career-boosting break occurred for Gordon in 1908 when she was a chorus girl in A Knight for a Day. As the understudy for Sallie Fisher, Gordon went on when Fisher missed a performance. The next day's issue of The New York Times reported, "Miss Gordon's performance was so satisfactory that she is to be engaged for an important role in a new Summer production to be offered at one of Mr. Whitney's theatres in Chicago." Gordon's Broadway credits include Up and Down Broadway (1910).
- Calamity Anne's Beauty (1913)
- In the Secret Service (1913)
- The Werewolf (1913)
- Another Thin Man (1939)
- California Death Index, Name: Phyllis L. Gordon, Birth Date: 10-17-1889, Mother's Maiden Name: Smith, Sex: Female, Death Place: Sonoma, Death Date: 10-16-1964, SSN: 459-07-2133, Age: 74 yrs.
- Harriet Worsley (2004). Decades of Fashion. Könemann.
- "Actress Brings Monkey to Table". Iowa, Davenport. The Davenport Democrat and Leader. November 6, 1924. p. 14. Retrieved February 23, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- ""If You Haven't a Square Jaw Stay Off the Stage," Is the Advice of Actress Who Hereded Cattle When 13". Washington, Tacoma. The Tacoma Times. September 1, 1911. p. 1. Retrieved February 22, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Gossip of Stage Here and Abroad". California, San Francisco. San Francisco Chronicle. March 26, 1911. p. 23. Retrieved February 22, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Bennett's Next Week". Canada, Ottawa, Ontario. The Ottawa Journal. December 11, 1909. p. 17. Retrieved February 22, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Chorus Girl Understudy Makes a Hit". New York, New York City. The New York Times. March 11, 1908. p. 7. Retrieved February 22, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
- "Phyllis Gordon". Playbill Vault. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- "Offerings in Pittsburgh During the Past Week". Pennsylvania, Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh Daily Post. April 10, 1910. p. 34. Retrieved February 22, 2016 – via Newspapers.com.
Media related to Phyllis Gordon at Wikimedia Commons