Physician to the Queen
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Physician to the King and Physician to the Queen (QHP) are titles of the physician who is chief officer of the Medical Household of the Royal Household of the Sovereign of the United Kingdom. The Medical Household includes physicians, who treat general conditions, and extra physicians, specialists who are brought in as required.
In 1973, the position of Head of the Medical Household was created. The occupant of that position is also a Physician to the Queen.
Royal households before 1901
- Matthias de Lobel, Physician to King James I
- Erasmus Darwin (1731–1802), was invited to be Royal Physician by King George III, but declined.
- Sir Richard Croft, Physician to King George III, King George IV and Princess Charlotte Augusta.
- Sir William Henry Broadbent, Bt., KCVO, MD, Physician Extraordinary to Queen Victoria (1896–1901)
- Sir Henry Thompson, 1st Baronet, FRCS (1820–1904), Physician to Queen Victoria
- Sir Thomas Grainger Stewart, FRSE, FRCPE (1837-1900), Physician-in-Ordinary to the Queen in Scotland from 1882
- George Steward Beatson ( - 1874) Honorary Physician to the Queen
Royal Household of King Edward VII
Physician-in-Ordinary to His Majesty
- Sir William Henry Broadbent, Bt., KCVO, MD 29 March 1901–1907
- Sir James Reid, Bt., GCVO, KCB, MD 29 March 1901 – 6 May 1910
- Sir Francis Laking, Bt., GCVO, KCB, MD 29 March 1901 – 6 May 1910
Physicians Extraordinary to His Majesty
- Surgeon-General Sir Joseph Fayrer, Bt., KCSI, MD 29 March 1901–?
- Sir Richard Douglas Powell, Bt., KCVO, MD 29 March 1901–?
- Sir Edward Henry Sieveking, MD 29 March 1901 – 1904
- Sir Felix Semon, MD 29 March 1901–?
- John Lowe, MD 29 March 1901 – 1904
Honorary Physicians-in-Ordinary to His Majesty in Scotland
- Sir William Tennant Gairdner, KCB, MD 29 March 1901–?
- George William Balfour, MD 29 March 1901–1903
Honorary Physicians-in-Ordinary to His Majesty in Ireland
Royal Households 1910–1973
- Bertrand Edward Dawson, 1st Viscount Dawson of Penn, GCVO KCB KCMG PC FRCP (1864–1945), Physician to King George V, King Edward VIII and King George VI.
- Sir Thomas Peel Dunhill, GCVO CMG FRCP (1876–1957), Extra Physician to King George V, King Edward VIII, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II.
- Thomas Horder, 1st Baron Horder, GCVO (1871–1955), Extra Physician to King Edward VII, King George V, King Edward VIII, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II.
- Sir John Weir, GCVO & Chain CMG MD (1879–1971), Physician to King George V, King Edward VIII, King George VI and Queen Elizabeth II.
- Andrew Best Semple (1963-1965), Honorary Physician to Queen Elizabeth II
- Air Vice-Marshal Frederick Charles Hurrell CB, OBE, Honorary Physician to Queen Elizabeth II.
- Professor Kenneth Gordon Lowe, CVO FRCP MD, Queen's Physician in Scotland.
Royal Household post-1973
- "Munks Roll Details for William Henry (Sir) Broadbent". Royal College of Physicians. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "No. 27300". The London Gazette. 29 March 1901. p. 2194.
- "Andrew Semple obituary". The Guardian. 18 December 2013. Retrieved 18 December 2013.
- Obituary for Air Vice-Marshal Freddie Hurrell - The Telegraph - 15 October 2008
- Obituary: Professor Kenneth Lowe - 22nd August 2010