Physicians for a National Health Program
Physicians for a National Health Program (PNHP) is an advocacy organization of some 20,000 American physicians, medical students, and health professionals co-founded in 1987 by David Himmelstein and Steffie Woolhandler that supports a single-payer (Canadian-style) system of universal national health insurance.
The group is also known for its members' substantial contributions to scientific research on the uninsured, health system economics and international health systems. Members such as David Himmelstein, Steffie Woolhandler, Marcia Angell and Arnold Relman have contributed articles to major peer-reviewed journals such as the New England Journal of Medicine (of which Angell and Relman are former editors-in-chief), JAMA, Health Affairs, and The American Journal of Medicine. Quentin Young was president of the organization from 1991 to 1993.
- Health care reform
- List of healthcare reform advocacy groups in the United States
- National Physicians Alliance
- Physicians' Council for Responsible Reform
- Single-payer health care
- United States National Health Care Act
- Universal health care
- Frumkin, Howard; Himmelstein, David; Nelson, Mark; Woolhandler, Steffie (July 8, 1987). "Health care for all is a public responsibility". The New York Times. p. A26.
Woolhandler, Steffie; Himmelstein, David U. (1987). "Physicians for a National Health Program". International Journal of Health Services. 17 (4): 703–706. doi:10.2190/C343-W933-786Q-1R3T. ISSN 0020-7314. PMID 3121526.
- Himmelstein, David U.; Woolhandler, Steffie (January 12, 1989). "A national health program for the United States. A physicians' proposal". New England Journal of Medicine. 320 (2): 102–108. doi:10.1056/NEJM198901123200206. PMID 2911282.
- Woolhandler, Steffie; Himmelstein, David U.; Angell, Marcia; Young, Quentin D. (August 13, 2003). "Proposal of the Physicians' Working Group for Single-Payer National Health Insurance". JAMA. 290 (6): 798–805. doi:10.1001/jama.290.6.798. PMID 12915433.
- Himmelstein, D. U.; Thorne, D.; Warren, E.; Woolhandler, S. (2009). "Medical Bankruptcy in the United States, 2007: Results of a National Study". The American Journal of Medicine. 122 (8): 741–746. doi:10.1016/j.amjmed.2009.04.012. PMID 19501347. See full text.
- Young, Q D (1993-07-01). "Health care reform: a new public health movement". American Journal of Public Health. 83 (7): 945–946. doi:10.2105/AJPH.83.7.945. ISSN 0090-0036.