Physics of Fluids
|Edited by||Alan Jeffrey Giacomin|
AIP Publishing (United States)
Physics of Fluids is a peer-reviewed monthly scientific journal on fluid dynamics, founded by the American Institute of Physics in 1958, and is published by the AIP Publishing. The journal focus is the dynamics of gases, liquids, and complex or multiphase fluids—and the journal contains original research resulting from theoretical, computational, and experimental studies.
From 1958 through 1988, the journal included plasma physics. From 1989 until 1993, the journal split into Physics of Fluids A covering fluid dynamics, and Physics of Fluids B, on plasma physics. In 1994, the latter was renamed Physics of Plasmas, and the former continued under its original name, Physics of Fluids.
Physics of Fluids was originally published by the American Institute of Physics in cooperation with the American Physical Society's Division of Fluid Dynamics (APS-DFD). In 2016, the American Physical Society founded its own journal Physical Review Fluids. From 1985–2015, Physics of Fluids published the Gallery of Fluid Motion, containing award-winning photographs, images and visual streaming media of fluid flow. Since 2016, the Gallery of Fluid Motion is published by the American Physical Society.
With funding from the American Institute of Physics the annual "François Naftali Frenkiel Award" was established by the American Physical Society in 1984 to reward a young scientist who published a paper containing significant contributions to fluid dynamics during the previous year. The award-winning paper was chosen from Physics of Fluids until 2016.
Physics of Fluids A, Physics of Fluids B, and Physics of Fluids were ranked 3, 4, and 6, respectively based on their citation impact from 1981–2004 within the category of journals on the physics of fluids and plasmas. According to the Journal Citation Reports, in 2016, Physics of Fluids published 554 articles and was cited 27,962 times. Physics of Fluids has a 2017 impact factor of 2.279.
|François N. Frenkiel||1958–1981||Founding editor|
|Andreas Acrivos||1982–1997||Distinguished editor|
|L. Gary Leal||Co-Editor-in-Chief|
|Alan Jeffrey Giacomin||2016–present||Editor-in-Chief |
- Scott, John T. (2008), "Fifty years of Physics of Fluids", Physics of Fluids, 20 (1): 011301, Bibcode:2008PhFl...20a1301S, doi:10.1063/1.2832774
- Kim, John; Leal, L. Gary (2008), "Editorial: Fifty years of Physics of Fluids", Physics of Fluids, 20 (1): 010401, Bibcode:2008PhFl...20a0401K, doi:10.1063/1.2832366
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Physics — Fluids & Plasmas". Thomson Scientific. May 8, 2006. Retrieved 2009-04-20.
- "PR Fluids Open for Submissions". American Physical Society. January 13, 2016. Retrieved 2016-02-03.
- "Gallery of Fluid Motion – About". American Physical Society – Division of Fluid Dynamics. Retrieved 2016-01-16.
- Sci-Bytes (2006) Thomson Scientific
- "Physics of Fluids". 2017 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Science ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2018.
- "Alan Jeffrey Giacomin Appointed New Editor-In-Chief of AIP Publishing's Physics of Fluids". AIP Publishing. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 2016-01-16.