Dr Phytos Poetis, OM, Dr iur (Hamburg), FCIArb, Barrister, is an International Lawyer.
Poetis studied law in London, where he was called to the English Bar in 1961 by the "Honourable Society of the Middle Temple (Barrister-at-Law)". Since then, he has continuously been involved in the theory and practice of international contracts.
He continued his law studies in Germany at the  where, in 1965, he earned the title of "Doctor of Laws", under the supervision of "Professor Dr Konrad Zweigert, Director of the Max-Planck-Institute for Foreign and Private International Law, and Justice of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany ", with a comparative international law doctoral thesis (in German) entitled: "Defects of Consent in the International Contract Law of Germany, Switzerland, Greece, England and the United States of America".and at the "Max-Planck-Institute for Foreign and Private International Law",
Between 1975 and 1980, in addition to his practising law, he served as commercial manager, legal adviser and member of the corporate administration of "Coutinho Caro + Co" in Hamburg, a worldwide turnkey contractor, being responsible for the negotiation, drafting and implementation of contracts involving the delivery and installation of industrial plants and high-rise buildings.
In 1980 he was raised to the level of "Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators" by its president, "Lord Donaldson, Master of the Rolls ", on the strength of his thesis "The Powers of the Engineer in Settlement of Disputes under the FIDIC-Conditions"; this was then published in the "Arbitration", the Official Journal of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, in the "Quantity Surveyor", and in the "Yearbook on International Arbitration".
In 2003 he was awarded the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany for "Outstanding Achievements in Law".
He travels globally negotiating projects, drafting contracts, acting as fire-brigade, when legal, commercial or technical problems arise. He also lectures and delivers seminars on the specialist areas of export trade and international commercial arbitration.
Unique in his practice and possibly obvious is his conviction that "contracts, particularly contracts for technical projects, should, where possible, be negotiated and drafted by one and the same person who should be an international lawyer, with a commercial training, and who preferably has a technical understanding."
Since 1965 he has been the legal adviser to the German Embassy.
"Dr Poetis ®" is a registered trade mark of Dr Phytos Poetis.
Until the Turkish invasion of Cyprus in 1974, his practice was based in Famagusta, after the invasion he moved his practice to Hamburg. In 1992 he moved his practice back to Cyprus and is now based in Larnaca.
Honours and awards
- Honorary Consul of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (Outstanding Achievements in Law)
- Legal Adviser to the German Embassy
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Founder Member of the London Court of International Arbitration European Users’ Council
Selected publications and lectures
- Die Anknüpfung der Willensmängel im Internationalen Vertragsrecht Deutschlands, der Schweiz, Griechenlands, Englands und der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika (Defects of Consent in the International Contract Law of Germany, Switzerland, Greece, England and the United States of America), Hamburg 1965
- About Legal Systems in General and the Law of Cyprus in Particular, Lecture before ΕΦΣΑ, Scientific and Philosophical Society of Famagusta, 1966
- Reformation of the Judiciary, A Comparative Study, Lecture before ΕΦΣΑ, Scientific and Philosophical Society of Famagusta, 1967
- Powers of the Engineer in Settlement of Disputes under the FIDIC-Conditions, published in: the Arbitation, the Quantity Surveyor and the Yearbook on International Arbitration, London 1980
- Die 20 wichtigsten Fragen und Antworten zum Immobilienerwerb in Zypern (The 20 Most Important Questions and Answers Regarding the Purchase of Immovables in Cyprus), published in: Investmentguide EU-Osterweiterung, Zürich, 2004
- Barrister (of the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple), 1961 http://www.middletemple.org.uk/
- Professor Dr Konrad Zweigert, Director of the Max-Planck-Institute and Justice of the Federal Constitutional Court of Germany
- Die Anknüpfung der Willensmängel im Internationalen Vertragsrecht Deutschlands, der Schweiz, Griechenlands, Englands und der Vereinigten Staaten von Amerika
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, 1980 http://www.ciarb.org/
- Lord Donaldson
- Master of the Rolls
- "The Powers of the Engineer in Settlement of Disputes under the FIDIC-Conditions". Archived from the original on March 16, 2012. Retrieved March 15, 2012.
- "Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors". RICS. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- Katz, Jacob (2010-12-17). "International Law Reporter: New Volume: Yearbook on International Arbitration". Ilreports.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- Vereidigter Dolmetscher und Übersetzer der Freien und Hansestadt Hamburg
- "Find a professional representative". EPO. 2015-12-03. Retrieved 2016-01-15.
- Trade marks
- "Schäffer-Poeschel Verlag für Recht - Wirtschaft - Steuern". Schaeffer-poeschel.de. 2015-11-19. Retrieved 2016-01-15.