- For villages of the same name, see Piaśnica Mała and Piaśnica Wielka as well as Piaśnica, Puck County.
The Piaśnica is a river in northern Poland, in Puck County near Gdańsk, in Pomeranian Voivodeship. It begins inside the Puszcza Darżlubska Wilderness, located in the northernmost part of the geographical region of Pobrzeże Kaszubskie. Darżlubie Forest (also referred to in Polish as Lasy Piaśnickie) contains two nature reserves (Polish protected areas). On the south–side it borders the Tricity Landscape Park from which, it is separated by the Reda river. The wilderness, is also the source of river Gizdepka. The name of Piaśnica comes from the nearby villages of Piaśnica Mała and Piaśnica Wielka.
The Piaśnica wilderness, where the river begins, is a place of Polish and Jewish martyrology; the second largest site of mass killings of Polish civilians in Pomerania (after Stutthof) during World War II. The Mass murders in Piaśnica, of about 12,000–16,000 hostages (mostly intelligentsia), were committed by the Nazis between the fall of 1939 and spring of 1940 near the town of Wielka Piaśnica.
The Piaśnica terminates into the Baltic Sea.
Notes and references
- Ryś, M. (2010), Puszcza Darżlubska: "Krótka charakterystyka środowiska przyrodniczego na terenie Komunalnego Związku Gmin "Dolina Redy i Chylonki" (in Polish), Gdynia: Komunalny Zwiazek Gmin, retrieved 23 December 2010
- Elżbieta Grot (2009-02-10). "Ludobójstwo w Piaśnicy z uwzględnieniem losów mieszkańców powiatu wejherowskiego". Biblioteka Publiczna Gminy Wejherowo. Retrieved May 17, 2011. (in Polish)
- Premier RP na obchodach rocznicowych w Piaśnicy, Wejherowo: Biuletyn Informacji Publicznej, Urząd Miejski w Wejherowie, 2010, retrieved 24 December 2010 see also: "Polish Prime Minister at the anniversary celebrations in Piaśnica", (paragraph 2, line 2) by Google translate
- Popławski, Grzegorz (2010), "Piaśnica - pomorski "Katyń" (Piaśnica - Pomeranian Katyn) (in Polish), Gdynia: Dziennik Baltycki (The Baltic Daily), retrieved 23 December 2010
- Cherry, Robert D.; Orla-Bukowska, Annamaria (2007), Rethinking Poles and Jews: troubled past, brighter future, Lanham MD: Rowman & Littlefield, p. 100, ISBN 0-7425-4666-7, retrieved 23 December 2010
- Rzeka Piaśnica, at www.polwysep.pl (in Polish)
- Kayaking on Piaśnica (in Polish)
- Scuba-diving at Piaśnica (in Polish)