Piano Concerto No. 4 (Rubinstein)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Piano Concerto No. 4 in D minor, Op. 70, by Anton Rubinstein is a Romantic concerto that was once highly esteemed and was in the repertoire of the Russian and Polish piano virtuosos Sergei Rachmaninoff and Ignacy Jan Paderewski.
Anton Rubinstein, himself a renowned pianist, left five numbered piano concertos. (He wrote three earlier piano concertos; two were lost and the third was transformed into Octet, Op. 9.) Rubinstein composed the Fourth Concerto in 1864. He published two revisions of it and then a final revision in 1872. He dedicated the concerto to the violinist Ferdinand David.
The concerto is in three movements:
- Moderato assai
- Josef Hofmann's reading of this concerto is generally considered as a definite rendition.
- Xaver Scharwenka's Piano Concerto No. 1 in B-flat minor and Anton Rubinstein's Piano Concerto No. 4 in D minor performed by Marc-André Hamelin with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra conducted by Michael Stern (Hyperion 67508)
- Sergei Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 3 and Anton Rubinstein's Piano Concerto No. 4 in D minor performed by Joseph Moog with the Deutsche Staatsphilharmonie Rheinland-Pfalz conducted by Nicholas Milton (Onyx 4089)
- Banowetz, Joseph (1992). Rubinstein: Piano Concertos Nos. 3 and 4 (CD). Naxos Records (Marco Polo). 8.223382.
- Barilier, Étienne; Watson, Isabelle (2012). Joseph Moog - Rubinstein & Rachmaninov: Piano Concertos (CD). Onyx Classics. ONYX 4089.
- Barfoot, Terry (October 2005). "Review: Rubinstein & Scharwenka: Piano Concertos". Musicweb International. Retrieved 2015-05-13.
- Nicholas, Jeremy (2005). Rubinstein & Scharwenka: Piano Concertos (PDF) (CD). Hyperion Records. CDA67508.
- Piano Concerto No. 4: Scores at the International Music Score Library Project
- "Rubinstein: Piano Concerto No. 4, I. Moderato assai. Performed by Marc-André Hamelin, live in Moscow.". YouTube. 2012-12-15.
- "Rubinstein: Piano Concerto No. 4, II. Andante. Performed by Marc-André Hamelin, live in Moscow.". YouTube. 2012-12-15.
- "Rubinstein: Piano Concerto No. 4, III. Allegro. Performed by Marc-André Hamelin, live in Moscow.". YouTube. 2012-12-15.