Piano Lessons (book)
|Country||Australia, United States|
|Media type||Hardcover, paperback, audiobook, e-book|
Piano Lessons is a 2009 award-winning non-fiction book by Australian classical pianist Anna Goldsworthy, artist in residence of Janet Clarke Hall and artistic director of the Port Fairy Spring Music Festival.
Goldsworthy was nine years old when she met Eleonora Sivan, a charismatic Russian émigré and world-class pianist who became her piano teacher. Piano Lessons documents what Sivan brought to Goldsworthy's lessons: a love of music, a respect for life, a generous spirit and the courage to embrace a musical life.
The US Poet Laureate, Philip Levine, said of Piano Lessons, "I have never read a better depiction of a great mentor and of how true learning takes place. Every teacher of anything should read this book. Twice."
The book was received positively by Australian critics.
The Australian Literary Review called Piano Lessons a "wonderful story, elegantly told", broadsheet The Age said that it was "multi-layered, rich with meditations on identity, creativity, ambition and achievement; deeply felt without a hint of sentimentality. This impressive debut will surely mark Anna Goldsworthy's arrival as an Australian writer to be reckoned with."
Piano Lessons was shortlisted for a number of awards including best non-fiction at the NSW Premier's Literary Awards as well as best non-fiction at the 2010 Australian Book Industry Awards. Goldsworthy won Newcomer of the Year at the 2010 Australian Book Industry Awards.
- "Australian Book Industry Awards: 2010 Winners" (PDF). publishers.asn.au. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "ABC Classic FM The Morning Interview: Anna Goldsworthy". abc.net.au. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Port Fairy Spring Music Festival". portfairyspringfest.com.au. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Anna Goldsworthy Interview". readings.com.au. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Macmillan: Piano Lessons". macmillan.com. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Piano Lessons the Film". pianolessonsthebook.com. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Reviews". annagoldsworthy.com. Archived from the original on 24 July 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- Kenny, James (October 2009). "Anna Goldsworthy's Piano Lessons". Australian Literary Review. 82 (03): 81–82.
- Case, Jo (6 November 2009). "Piano Lessons". The Age: 49.
- "Anna Goldsworthy", interview with Anna Goldsmith, readings.com.au, 1 October 2009
- "An interview with Anna Goldsworthy", discussion with Black Inc., 29 September 2009
- Audio: ABC Radio National, The Music Show with Andrew Ford interview with Goldsworthy