Piano Sonata in A-flat major, D 557 (Schubert)
The work is relatively short and a performance takes somewhat between 10 and 15 minutes. The sonata is cheerful and uncomplicated, and carries remembrances of Mozart and the Baroque era.
- I. Allegro moderato
- A-flat major
- The beginning resembles the opening of the menuetto, D. 380, Nr. 3.
- II. Andante
- E-flat major
- III. Allegro
- E-flat major
- This movement has a dance-like character.
The fact that the last movement is in the key of E-flat major rather than the tonic key of A-flat major is evidence in favor of Schubert possibly intending to add a fourth movement, although the extant third movement has much of the character of a finale. At the time this was written it was quite unusual to end a composition in another key than its tonic, however Schubert did do this in some of his early works, e.g. D. 553 ("Auf der Donau", beginning in E-flat major and ending in F-sharp minor).
The sonata was first published in 1888, in the Breitkopf & Härtel complete edition.
The autograph of the sonata, dated May 1817, is incomplete — it stops at the 28th measure of the third movement, but there is a contemporary complete manuscript.
- First publication — Alte Gesammtausgabe (AGA)
D. 557 was first published in 1888 as No. 3 of the Piano Sonatas volume (Series X) of the Kritisch durchgesehene Gesammtausgabe.
- Urtext Editions
- Neue Schubert-Ausgabe (NSA)
- David Doughty in album notes of Brilliant Classics Nr. 99678/4 (2001)
- Deutsch 1978, pp 323-324
- Badura-Skoda 1997, p VII
- Tirimo 1997
- Litschauer 2000
- Franz Schubert's Werke: Kritisch durchgesehene Gesammtausgabe (AGA): Leipzig, Breitkopf & Härtel:
- Urtext editions:
- Franz Schubert: Neue Ausgabe sämtlicher Werke (NSA): Kassel, Bärenreiter:
- Otto Erich Deutsch. Series VIII: Supplement — Volume 4: Franz Schubert, thematisches Verzeichnis seiner Werke in chronologischer Folge — pp. 323-324 (1978). ISMN 9790006305148 — ISBN 9783761805718
- Walburga Litschauer (ed.) Series VII: Piano Music, Part 2: Works for Piano Two Hands — Volume 1: Klaviersonaten I (2000). ISMN 9790006497119
|Piano sonatas (2 hands) by Franz Schubert|
Sonata in C major (D. 279)
|AGA, Series 10 (15 sonatas)
Sonata in E minor (D. 566)
Sonata in A minor (D. 537)
|21 Sonatas numbering system
|23 Sonatas numbering system