In the fields of urban planning, urban regeneration and e-government, the term piazza telematica has been used in Italy since the early 1990s by a number of community network and local institutions for promoting the insertion, inside the urban upgrading processes, of the principles of sustainable development and of accessibility for all to IT tools for assuring the Right of Citizenship: the possibilities to participate in public decision processes, to access to the knowledge and training, to take part of the social local community life.
The term piazza telematica evokes a hybrid space indebted in equal parts to the real (with territorial components) and the virtual space that has to be considered as a whole, a new glocal (global – local) public space with a great symbolic value for the democratic interaction and for the social life.
The word “piazza” underlines the semantic significance of a public space traditionally located in the heart of the town centre or of a village and dedicated to communication, meeting, and the exchange of material goods and, at present, through the use of telematics systems and services, to the exchange also of immaterial goods (new virtual services and functions: Telecommuting, Coworking, online Training through Multi-monitor, Telemedicine, Electronic commerce and the new Sustainable mobility services such as Bike sharing and Car sharing.
- 1990 - The term Piazza Telematica is used for the first time in newspapers and magazines in order to describe the telematics systems and services set up for the journalists in the 12 Italian cities hosting the FIFA World Cup 1990.
- 1994 - Participation to the ACT-VILL project of the Direction XII Science and Technology of the European Union for the city of the 21st century corresponding to new concepts synthesised in three scenarios:
- Sustainable city, a city that internalise the problems it generates, solving them instead of transferring to other or to the future.
- "Glocal" city (global/local), a city with a better balance between the globalisation process and the ability to use local resources.
- Post-modern or agora city, a human centred city with a harmonic relationship between the citizen and the urban design.
- 1995 - Participation to the European conference Urban utopias: new tools for the European Urban Renaissance, promoted by the Direction XII Science and Technology of the European Union and hosted by the Municipality of Berlin.
- 2004 - The first pilot project of a Piazza Telematica, supported by the European Union (div. XVI for social cohesion and sustainable development) is opened to the general public in Naples (Italy) in the bourough of Scampia.
In some other pilot projects, as is the case for the Piazza Telematica of the Municipality of Provaglio d'Iseo, the term Piazza Telematica is used in order to evoke a virtual space on the Internet open to all citizens for the exchange of ideas, proposals and participation, through forum and other web instruments, to the socio-cultural and economic life of the community.
- New Urbanism
- Sharing economy
- World Digital Library
- Community informatics
- Hot desking
- Nomad worker
- Computer lab
- Fab lab
- Living lab
- Internet café
- Public computer
- Public space
- City Literary Institute
- Grid computing
- This article incorporates material from the Citizendium article "Piazza telematica", which is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License but not under the GFDL.
- DIGITAL AGENDA FOR EUROPE - A Europe 2020 Initiative
- PUBLIC LIBRARIES 2020 - Building stronger EU communities
- PUBLIC LIBRARIES 2020 TOUR - Libraries change lives: Digital inclusion, Lifelong learning, Social Inclusion
- ICT for Sustainable Development: Defining a Global Research Agenda
- ICT & SUSTAINABILITY Making work more environment-friendly and creating a better society
- Fostering Participation in Scampia: Let's Make a Piazza - De Muro et al. European Urban and Regional Studies, 2007.
- WebForTheFuture.net - AWARD, 2005
- Közösségi hozzáférés Olaszországban, 2004.
- Territorial Components of the Information Society: Two different Italian case study Telematic Piazza of Scampia and Officina Città of Turin, 2001
- Urban Technology Network Project of Interreg II C - CADSES ; Technologies, information and infrastructures for urban areas and security - Workshop proceedings, 2000.
- The era of generative tech-nets: bit watt -...- and complexity - GENERATIVE ART 1999 - organized by Milan Polythecnic University, Italy, 1/2/3 Dec 1999-11-10
- On-line On-Square by Alessandro Giuliani, 1998.
- Piazze Telematiche of Naples (Italy), 1998.
- The Development of Intra - and Trans -Urban Networks (ACT-VILL study C), 1996.
- An idea to manage urbanization and to improve people's living environment, 1996
- PIAZZE TELEMATICHE, HABITAT II - Istanbul, 1996.
- Report on the AGORA Workshop held at the Conference "Urban Utopias: new tools for the renaissance of european cities" in Berlin, november 1995.
- Volunteer computing vs cloud vs grid vs HPC
- International Society of Bio Urbanism
- The Ancient Agora
- The Institute for 21st Century Agoras
- Project for Public Spaces (PPS)
- telematica | telematics | telematik | télématique
- The meaning of telematics
- Piazza Telematica of Scampia
- Piazza Telematica of the University of Rome
- Piazza Telematica of the Municipality of Schio
- Plaza Telecommunity of Taos
- Community programmes - Learning centres open to everyone
- MediaLibraryOnLine - The daily digital lending library (24 7 365)
- Library Learning Information
- Smart + Connected Communities