|Manufacturer||The Coca-Cola Company|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Introduced||1972 (as Peppo)
1973 (as Dr. Pibb and Mr. Pibb later that year)
2001 (as Pibb Xtra)
|Flavor||Pepper-style carbonated soft drink|
Pibb Xtra/Zero Cherry
Pibb Xtra/Zero Cherry-Vanilla
|Related products||Dr Pepper
Pibb Xtra, formerly called Mr. Pibb (sometimes styled as Mr. PiBB), is a soft drink marketed by The Coca-Cola Company. As of 2012, it is sold in most of the United States, except areas where Dr Pepper is distributed by the local Coca-Cola bottler.
First introduced as "Peppo" and eventually "Dr. Pibb", to compete against Dr Pepper, the name was changed to "Mr. Pibb" after Dr Pepper sued The Coca-Cola Company for trademark infringement. The original test markets for Mr. Pibb in 1972 were located in Waco, Texas, the birthplace of Dr Pepper, before the company moved to Dallas, Texas.
In 1980, Mr. Pibb was reformulated, marketed with the words "New Taste" printed prominently on the products.
In 2001, a new formula called Pibb Xtra added cinnamon flavor, replacing the original formula in many parts of the United States. Today Pibb Xtra is labeled as "artificially flavored spicy cherry soda".
Coca-Cola Freestyle Flavors
In 2011, Pibb Xtra expanded to two new flavors. Released for Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, the first is Pibb Xtra Cherry, the other Pibb Xtra Cherry-Vanilla. Both of these new flavors were also released for Pibb Zero. Pibb is now available in some Freestyle machines at restaurant chains that do not serve Dr Pepper or regions where Dr Pepper is not bottled by a local Coca-Cola distributor.
- Janos, Leo (1973), "Understanding Dr Pepper", Texas Monthly, 1 (1)
- Soda Pop of the Week: Peppo
- Dougherty, Philip H. (1973), "Advertising: Howdy to Mr. Pibb; Furs, Feathers, Fins Direct Mail Doings People", The New York Times (June 27): 109
- Dr Pepper Museum – History of Dr Pepper
- "The History of Mr. PiBB". pibbthug.com. August 23, 2008. Archived from the original on March 27, 2014. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Coca-Cola Brand Fact Sheet – Pibb Xtra
- "Pibb Ingredients and Nutrition". coca-colaproductfacts.com. Archived from the original on August 15, 2015. Retrieved February 18, 2016.