Pico da Neblina (TV series)
|Pico da Neblina (Joint Venture)|
|Created by||Cauê Laratta |
Mariana Trench Bastos
|Written by||Cauê Laratta |
Mariana Trench Bastos
|Directed by||Quico Meirelles |
|Starring||Luis Navarro |
Maria Zilda Bethlem
|Country of origin||Brazil|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||10|
|Executive producer(s)||Fernando Meirelles|
|Production company(s)||O2 Filmes|
|Distributor||HBO Latin America Group|
|Original network||HBO Brazil|
HBO Latin America
|Original release||August 4, 2019|
Pico da Neblina (Joint Venture) is a Brazilian drama television series that premiered on HBO Brazil and Latin America on August 4, 2019. It depicts a scenario in which marijuana has been legalized in Brazil and following the story of a former drug dealer who needs to find a way to keep working.
The series follows the story of Biriba (Luís Navarro), a young drug trafficker from São Paulo who, after the legalization of marijuana in Brazil, decides to abandon his life on crime and sell his weed legally along with an inexperienced investor partner. But Salim (Henrique Santana), his childhood friend, decides to follow as an old-fashioned drug dealer in the illegality.
Cast and characters
- Luis Navarro as Biriba
- Daniel Furlan as Vini
- Henrique Santana as Salim
Conception and development
According to the director Quico Meirelles, when Pico da Neblina was being produced, in 2015, he imagined that, when the series would be premiered, in 2019, cannabis would already been legalized in Brazil. But what he saw was a twist in the opposite direction, with the discussions paralyzed in the National Congress of Brazil. The director said he could only imagine what this hypothetical Brazil would be like, based on experiences from other countries that have already legalized the drug, as part of Europe, Uruguay, Canada and the United States.
HBO Latin America announced the production of the series during the 2018 Rio2C (Rio Creative Conference) event. It was revealed that the first season of the series consisting of ten episodes would be produced by Academy Award nominated director Fernando Meirelles.
- "HBO to Premiere Brazilian Original, Pico de neblina, on August 4". todotvnews. June 10, 2019. Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Giannini, Alessandro (March 19, 2019). "Série de Fernando Meirelles vai mostrar São Paulo com maconha liberada". O Globo (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- Lisboa, Daniel (October 22, 2018). ""Pico da Neblina": Série da HBO imagina como seria Brasil com maconha legalizada". Universo Online (in Portuguese). Retrieved June 10, 2019.
- Branco Cruz, Felipe (August 4, 2019). "Em Pico da Neblina, da HBO, legalização da maconha prejudica traficantes de drogas". Universo Online (in Portuguese). Retrieved August 6, 2019.
- Cajueiro, Marcelo (April 6, 2019). "HBO Latin America Orders 'Hard,' 'The American Guest,' 'Pico da Neblina' in Brazil". Variety. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- Queirós, Amanda (August 2, 2019). ""Série Pico da Neblina imagina Brasil onde maconha é legalizada". Metro Jornal (in Portuguese). Retrieved August 5, 2019.
- "HBO España estrena la serie brasileña «Pico de neblina»". neeo.es (in Spanish). August 3, 2019. Retrieved August 5, 2019.