Pictures from Brueghel and Other Poems
Pictures from Brueghel and Other Poems is a 1962 book of poems by the American modernist poet/writer William Carlos Williams. It was Williams's final book, for which he posthumously won the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry in 1963. Two previously-published collections of poetry are included: The Desert Music and Other Poems from 1954 and Journey to Love from 1955.
Pieter Brueghel the Elder was a Flemish painter (born c. 1525-1530, died 1569), famous for pictures of peasant life. This book opens with the title cycle of ten poems (the last poem is in three parts), each based on a Brueghel painting.
- Williams, William Carlos (1962). Pictures from Brueghel and other poems: collected poems 1950-1962. New York: New Directions. ISBN 978-0-8112-0234-3. OCLC 17518488.
- Conarroe, Joel (May 1971). "The Measured Dance: Williams' "Pictures from Brueghel"". Journal of Modern Literature. Indiana University Press. 1 (4): 565–577.
- "Williams, William Carlos". Pennsylvania Center for the Book. Pennsylvania State University. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
- Williams, William Carlos (1962). Pictures from Brueghel and other poems: collected poems 1950-1962. New York: New Directions. pp. contents page. ISBN 978-0-8112-0234-3. OCLC 17518488.
- "Pieter Bruegel I (the elder)" (PDF). Grove Art Online. Retrieved November 1, 2011.
|This poetry-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|