Church of the Birth of the Virgin Mary
|• Mayor||Hannes Holzner (CSU)|
|• Total||17.55 km2 (6.78 sq mi)|
|Elevation||455 m (1,493 ft)|
|• Density||310/km2 (800/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Politics
- 4 Culture and sights
- 5 Economy and infrastructure
- 6 Characters
- 7 Literature
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Piding is located in the middle of the Landkreis Berchtesgadener Land.
The municipal area corresponds to a natural expanse: It is bounded by the mountains Hochstaufen (1771 m) and Fuderheuberg (1.350 m) in the South, by the river Saalach in the East and by the hill Högl in the North-West. In the North-East the Saalach shapes the borderline to Salzburg (Austria).
Districts and Neighbours
The districts are Piding, Kleinhögl, Bichlbruck, Urwies, Mauthausen, Staufenbrücke and Pidingerau.
Archaeological troves shows, that the region was already populated in the New Stone Age (about 2800 BC). During the construction of the (former) ski-lift at the Fuderheuberg in 1970 copper bars from the Bronze Age were found.
The Catholic parish Maria Geburt (birth of Mary) is responsible for this churches:
- parish church Maria Geburt (Piding)
- St. Laurentius (Mauthausen)
- St. Johannes at Johannishögl (no regular masses)
Development of population
1790: 635 inhabitants, 1910: 864, 1946: 1.540, 1985: 3.996, 2000: 5.093, 2002: 5.257.
Coat of arms
Elections in 2014
- CSU: 9 seats
- Free voters: 6 seats
- Alliance 90/The Greens: 3 seats
- SPD: 2 seats
First (governing) mayor is Hannes Holzner (CSU), second mayor Walter Pfannerstill(FWG) and third mayor Dr. Bernhard Zimmer (Grüne).
Culture and sights
- Club for the preservation of traditional costumes, "D'Staufenecker"
- Traditional band
- Schloss Staufeneck
- tennis hall, tennis courts
- 50 km hiking trails, 12 km cross-country ski runs (tracked)
- Pidinger Klettersteig (fixed rope route) to the Hochstaufen
- Football ground
Economy and infrastructure
- Autohaus Bachfrieder (car dealer)
- Behindertenwerkstätte (workshop for handicapped people)
- Milchwerke Berchtesgadener Land (dairy)
- Stahl- und Metallbau Heinz Bender KG (metal constructions)
- Eurimpharm (pharmacy)
Next to Piding is the last exit of the motorway A 8 (Munich-Salzburg) in front of the border to Austria. The federal road B 20 (Berchtesgaden-Oberpfalz) is tangent to Piding. Piding has its own railway station at the railway line Freilassing-Berchtesgaden.
- Primary and secondary school
- Rupertusschule (school for handicapped persons)
- Max Wieser: former mayor
- Max Wieser: Pidinger Heimatbuch, 1250 Jahre Piding - Verlag Plenk, Berchtesgaden 1985
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). September 2018.