|Comune di Piedimonte Matese|
|• Mayor||Luigi Di Lorenzo|
|• Total||41.43 km2 (16.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||165 m (541 ft)|
|• Density||270/km2 (690/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Marcellino|
|Saint day||2 June|
Piedimonte Matese Italian: Piedimonte Matese, pronounced [pjɛdi'monte maˈteze] is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Caserta in the Italian region of Campania, located about 82 km north of Naples and about 40 km north of Caserta.
Piedimonte Matese borders the following municipalities: Alife, Campochiaro, Castello del Matese, Cusano Mutri, Guardiaregia, San Gregorio Matese, San Potito Sannitico and Sant'Angelo d'Alife. Up until 1945, Piedimonte Matese was located within the Province of Benevento. Before 1970 Piedimonte was known as Piedimonte d'Alife.
The Matese Legion was a group of 240 Italian volunteers that joined Giuseppe Garibaldi in the war for Italian unification in 1861. It was formed in the Piedimonte D'Alife district, now called Piedimonte Matese, in June 1860, and was officially established on 25 August in the same year.
The church of San Biagio (15th century) houses late-Gothic frescoes with scenes from the Old and New Testament and histories of St. Blaise. The church of St. Thomas (or St. Dominic) was built in 1414. The Baroque church of San Salvatore was designed by Cosimo Fanzago. The Ducal Palace of Gaetani d'Aragona has kept some late Renaissance details. Its patron saint is San Marcellino. The Civic Museum Raffaele Marrocco is an archaeology and arts museum in Piedimonte Matese.
Based in the Sepicciano area of Piedimonte Matese is the 4,000-seater Stadio Pasqualino Ferrante, a municipal stadium and home of Eccellenza (Molise) club A.S.D. Tre Pini Matese and Promozione (Molise) side F.W.P. Matese.
Piedimonte Matese is twinned with:
- = https://www.clarusonline.it/2017/06/12/piedimonte-matese-luigi-di-lorenzo-nuovo-sindaco
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- 41249 Piedimonte Matese on OpenStreetMap
- "Piedimonte Matese. Arriva la festa di San Marcellino e un gruppo di fedeli da Seligenstadt • Clarus". www.clarusonline.it (in Italian). Clarus. 9 May 2016. Retrieved 17 July 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Piedimonte Matese.|
|This Campanian location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|