Pier Antonio Panzeri (born 6 June 1955) is an Italian politician who served as Member of the European Parliament for the North-West with the Article 1 – Democratic and Progressive Movement (DS), part of the Socialist Group, from 2004 until 2019
Panzeri was born in Rivolta d'Adda, province of Cremona. Between 1995 and 2003, he was General Secretary of the Metropolitan Chamber of Labour of Milan. Panzeri is currently a member of the national leadership of the DS.
From 2003 to 2004, Panzeri was responsible for European policies; he devised and carried out a humanitarian mission to Belém, Brazil, and was a promoter and organiser of events to help the civilian victims of the Yugoslav wars. He attended the General Assembly of the United Nations as an observer for Israeli-Palestinian issues.
From 1996 until 2003, Panzeri worked with the city authorities of Milan, Barcelona, and Frankfurt, in the context of an international project to compare experiences regarding economic development, immigration and welfare, and to devise a future European municipality model.
Member of the European Parliament, 2004–2019
From 2009 until 2019, Panzeri served on the Committee on Foreign Affairs (AFET). In 2014, he also joined its Subcommittee on Human Rights (DROI). In this capacity, he was also a member of the Democracy Support and Election Coordination Group (DEG), which oversees the Parliament’s election observation missions.
In addition to his committee assignments, Panzeri served as chairman of the parliament’s delegation for relations with the Maghreb countries and the Arab Maghreb Union. He was previously a member of the delegations to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Mediterranean (2009-2014) and for relations with the United States (2004-2009). He was a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Integrity (Transparency, Anti-Corruption and Organized Crime) and of the European Parliament Intergroup on LGBT Rights. He was also part of the Elie Wiesel Network of Parliamentarians for the Prevention of Genocide and Mass Atrocities and against Genocide Denial.
- European Endowment for Democracy (EED), Member of the Board of Governors
- Il lavoratore fuori garanzia
- La democrazia economica
- Members of the Democracy Support and Election Coordination Group (DEG) European Parliament
- Members of the European Parliament on Integrity (Transparency, Anti-Corruption and Organized Crime) European Parliament.
- Members Archived 2019-03-27 at the Wayback Machine European Parliament Intergroup on LGBTI Rights.
- Members of the Elie Wiesel Network European Grassroots Antiracist Movement (EGAM).
- Vince Chadwick (October 15, 2015), Slain Kremlin critic shortlisted for EU award Politico Europe.