Pier Luigi Capucci
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pier Luigi Capucci
|Residence||Milano Marittima (RA), Italy|
|Occupation||Educator, writer, theorist|
|Employer||Fine Arts Academy of Urbino; Università degli Studi di Udine; Noema|
Pier Luigi Capucci is an Italian educator, theorist and writer in the fields of media (both in communication and art realms) and of the relationships among culture, sciences and technologies, as well as an active contributor to the international debate about culture-sciences-technologies-arts.
Since the early ‘80 Capucci has been concerned with the communication’s studies, the new media and the new art forms, and with the relations among arts, sciences and technologies. He has been professor at the Universities of Rome “La Sapienza”, Bologna, Florence, at SUPSI - University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland, at the University of Urbino and at NABA in Milan. Currently he is a teacher at the Fine Art Academy of Urbino, at the University of Udine and in other institutions. Since 2008 he has been working as a supervisor in the (M)T-Node PhD Research Program of the Planetary Collegium (University of Plymouth), and in May 2013 he has been appointed as (M)T-Node's DoS (Director of Studies).
His theoretical activity is concerned with the technologies of representation and communication, with the technoscience-based art forms, and with media archaeology studies. In the field of applied research he works on the opportunities of social relationships raised by online communications and new media.
Capucci published the books Realtà del virtuale. Rappresentazioni tecnologiche, comunicazione, arte (Reality of the virtual. Technological representations, communication, art), 1993, on virtual technologies and the relationships between culture and sensorial representations. In 2015 this book has been republished as an eBook. Il corpo tecnologico. L'influenza delle tecnologie sul corpo e sulle sue facoltà (The technological body. Technologies’ influence on the body and its faculties), 1994, on the impact of technologies on the human body; and Arte e tecnologie. Comunicazione estetica e tecnoscienze (Art and technologies. Aesthetic communication and technosciences), 1996, about art, sciences and technologies. In 2013 this book has been republished as an eBook in epub, mobi and PDF formats.
He published more than 300 texts in books, magazines and conference papers in Italy and abroad. He has organized exhibitions, managed projects and participated to many conferences in Italy and abroad. He has been working in European projects on technological communications. From 2004 to 2007 and from 2009 to 2011 he has been in the International Advisory Board of Ars Electronica of the Net Communities category.
In 1994 Capucci founded and directed the first Italian online magazine, NetMagazine, later MagNet, a research project on the relations between culture and technologies made in conjunction with the universities of Bologna and Rome “La Sapienza”.
Capucci is the founder, in 2000, and President of Noema, a website devoted to culture-new technologies interrelations and influences, with an International Board of scholars, researchers and theorists. In Noema's guidelines “culture” also means “habits”, “lifestyles”, “communications”, “art”, “society”, “economy”, “media”, “science”, “philosophy”..., while “new technologies” should be intended in a broader meaning than the digital realm. In 2003 Noema was selected by RAI International (the state Italian television) as best Italian site.
In 2004 Capucci founded <mediaversi>, a book series which he is the director of coproduced by Noema and published by Clueb University Press, focused on new media, arts, sciences, technologies and society, with an international Scientific Committee. In 2012 he founded fivewordsforthefuture, a project which aims at helping to recognize and understand what is "new", innovation, to imagine the future. In 2017 in Bologna he designed, curated and coordinated art*science 2017/Leonardo 50 - The New and History, an International Conference on the relations between art and science, which also celebrated the 50th anniversary of Leonardo journal, published by MIT Press.
His theoretical activity is concerned with techniques and technologies of representation and communication in the communication and art realms, with the technoscience-based art forms and with the media archaeology studies. In the field of applied research he works on the opportunities of social relationships raised by online communications and new media.
Capucci has also been working as a consultant in the field of new media with public and private institutions and firms. Since 1992 he has been working on European projects about technology and culture.
Books and articles
- Realtà del virtuale. Rappresentazioni tecnologiche, comunicazione, arte (Bologna, Clueb, 1993); (Reality of the virtual. Technological representations, communication, art) on virtual technologies and the relationships between culture and sensorial representations (ISBN 88-8091-215-1). In 2015 this book has been republished as eBook.
- (ed.), Il corpo tecnologico. L'influenza delle tecnologie sul corpo e sulle sue facoltà (Bologna, Baskerville, 1994); (The technological body. Technologies’ influence on the body and its faculties), 1994, on the impact of technologies on the human body (ISBN 88-8000-008-X)
- Arte e tecnologie. Comunicazione estetica e tecnoscienze (Bologna, Ed. dell'Ortica, 1996). (Art and technologies. Aesthetic communication and technosciences), 1996, about art, sciences and technologies, in 2007 freely distributed under a Creative Common License. In 2013 this book has been republished as an eBook in epub, mobi and PDF formats (ISBN 978-88-909189-0-2).
- Planetary Collegium (University of Plymouth), http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/research/273
- Here Capucci's curriculum : http://capucci.org/complete-bio/
- Realtà del virtuale. Rappresentazioni tecnologiche, comunicazione, arte (Reality of the Virtual. Technological Representations, Communications, Arts), Bologna, Clueb, 1993, ISBN 88-8091-215-1.
- (ed.), Il corpo tecnologico. L'influenza delle tecnologie sul corpo e sulle sue facoltà (The technological Body. The Influence of Technologies on the body and his faculties), Bologna, Baskerville, 1994, ISBN 88-8000-008-X. With texts by P. Virilio, T. Maldonado, D. de Kerckhove, D. Parisi, F. Varela, F. Antinucci, Stelarc, H. Moravec, S. Prior, P. L. Capucci.
- Arte e tecnologie. Comunicazione estetica e tecnoscienze (Art and Technologies. Aesthetic Communication and Technosciences), Bologna, Ed. dell’Ortica, 1996
- For a list of the publications it is possible to refer to Capucci personal website http://capucci.org/publications/
- Here the curriculum of the scientific activity: http://capucci.org/complete-bio/
- Noema's activities can be found here: http://capucci.org/709-2/
Some texts on the Web
- "La ‘Terza Vita’. Ipotesi sulla molteplicità del vivente" (The 'Third Life'. Hypothesis on the Multiplicity of the Living) - http://www.filosofiapostumanista.it/2017/05/05/la-terza-vita-ipotesi-sulla-molteplicita-del-vivente-di-pier-luigi-capucci/
- "Dialogismi e biopoetiche / Dialogisms and biopoetics" (written with Franco Torriani) - https://noemalab.eu/ideas/dialogismi-e-biopoetiche-dialogisms-and-biopoetics/
- "Ars Electronica, come eravamo / Ars Electronica, as we were", bilingual (Italian/English) - http://capucci.org/2016/10/21/ars-electronica-come-eravamo-ars-electronica-how-we-were/
- "Alla fine, l’arte / In the end, art", bilingual (Italian/English) - http://blogs.noemalab.eu/blog/2016/10/16/alla-fine-larte-in-the-end-art/
- "Alchimisti, designer, artisti e affini / Alchemists, designers, artists and related", bilingual (Italian/English) - http://blogs.noemalab.eu/blog/2016/09/16/alchimisti-designer-artisti-e-affini-alchemists-designers-artists-and-related/
- "Cominciamo dal contorno / Let’s start from the boundaries", bilingual (Italian/English) - http://blogs.noemalab.eu/blog/2016/09/11/alcune-considerazioni-preliminari-some-preliminary-considerations/
- "Ars Electronica 2016 – Alcune riflessioni preliminari / Some introductory reflections", bilingual (Italian/English) -http://blogs.noemalab.eu/blog/2016/09/10/ars-electronica-2016-alcune-riflessioni-preliminari-some-introductory-reflections/
- "Note sulla Survey dei 15 anni di attività di Noema / Note on Noema’s 15th Anniversary Survey Noema, online, bilingual" (Italian/English) - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/article/note-sulla-survey-dei-15-anni-di-attivita-di-noema-note-on-noemas-15th-anniversary-survey/
- "Noema, un’analisi su quindici anni di innovazione" (Noema, an analysis on 15 years of innovation) (written with Paolo Chighine) - http://www.darsmagazine.it/?p=17717
- "Art can save us. L’arte tra sostenibilità, ecologia, economia" (Art can save us. Art Among Sustainability, Ecology, Economy) [part.1 and 2] - http://www.anjapuntari.com/blog/Entries/2012/11/5_ART_BETWEEN_SUSTAINABILITY,_ECOLOGY,ECONOMICS_BY_PIER_LUIGI_CAPUCCI_Part_1_2.html
- "The Internet of Things from the user’s perspective" - http://www.theinternetofthings.eu/content/pier-luigi-capucci-internet-things-user’s-perspective
- "Simulation beyond perspective. The discourse of holography as a tool for imagery, art, media studies and science" - http://isea2011.sabanciuniv.edu/paper/simulation-beyond-perspective-discourse-holography-tool-imagery-art-media-studies-and-science
- "Arte e interattività" (Art and Interactivity) - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/interview/arte-e-interattivita/
- "The sensible reality between obviousness and uncertainty" - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/essay/the-sensible-reality-between-obviousness-and-uncertainty/
- "Around Simulation" - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/around-simulation/
- "Interviewing new media art didactics with Pier Luigi Capucci" - http://www.artsblog.it/post/6600/interviewing-new-media-art-didactics-with-pier-luigi-capucci-part-5
- "La 'Terza vita'. Ipotesi sulla molteplicità del vivente" (The ‘Third Life’. Hypothesis on the Multiplicity of the Living) - http://www.scienzaefilosofia.it/res/site70201/res508001_17-CAPUCCI.pdf
- "La simulación como recurso global" (Simulation as a Global Resource) - http://www.tintank.es/?p=223
- "Simulation as a Global Resource" - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/editorial/simulation-as-a-global-resource/
- "From life to life. The multiplicity of the living" - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/essay/from-life-to-life-the-multiplicity-of-the-living/
- "The Double Division of the Living" - http://noemalab.eu/ideas/essay/the-double-division-of-the-living/
- "Many essays and articles can be downloaded from Academia.edu" - https://independent.academia.edu/PierLuigiCapucci