Pier Luigi Capucci
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Pier Luigi Capucci
Lugo (RA), Italy
|Employer||Fine Arts Academy of Urbino; Università degli Studi di Udine; Noema|
Pier Luigi Capucci is an Italian educator, theorist and writer in the fields of media (both in communication and art realms) and of the relationships among culture, sciences and technologies, as well as an active contributor to the international debate about culture-sciences-technologies-arts.
Since the early '80s Capucci has been concerned with the communication's studies, the new media and the new art forms, and with the relations among arts, sciences and technologies. He has been professor at the Universities of Rome "La Sapienza", Bologna, Florence, at SUPSI – University of Applied Sciences and Arts of Southern Switzerland, at the University of Urbino and at NABA in Milan.
Currently, he is a teacher at the Fine Art Academy of Urbino, at the University of Udine and in other institutions. Since 2008 he has been working as a supervisor in the (M)T-Node PhD Research Program of the Planetary Collegium (University of Plymouth), and in May 2013 he was appointed as (M)T-Node's DoS (Director of Studies).
His theoretical activity is concerned with the technologies of representation and communication, with the technoscience-based art forms, and with media archaeology studies. In the field of applied research, he works on the opportunities of social relationships raised by online communications and new media.
He has published more than 300 texts in books, magazines and conference papers in Italy and abroad. He has organized exhibitions, managed projects and participated to many conferences. He has been working in European projects on technological communications. From 2004 to 2007 and from 2009 to 2011 he has been in the International Advisory Board of Ars Electronica of the Net Communities category.
In 1994 Capucci founded and directed the first Italian online magazine, NetMagazine, later MagNet, a research project on the relations between culture and technologies made in conjunction with the universities of Bologna and Rome "La Sapienza".
In 2000, he founded Noemalab.eu website devoted to culture-new technologies interrelations and influences and became its editor-in-chief. In 2004, Capucci founded <mediaversi>, a book series which he is the director of, coproduced by Noema and published by Clueb University Press, focused on new media, arts, sciences, technologies and society, with an international Scientific Committee. In 2012 he founded fivewordsforthefuture, a project which aims at helping to recognize and understand what is "new", innovation, to imagine the future. In 2017 in Bologna he designed, curated and coordinated art*science 2017/Leonardo 50 – The New and History, an International Conference on the relations between art and science, which also celebrated the 50th anniversary of Leonardo journal, published by MIT Press.
His theoretical activity is concerned with techniques and technologies of representation and communication in the communication and art realms, with the technoscience-based art forms and with the media archaeology studies. In the field of applied research he works on the opportunities of social relationships raised by online communications and new media.
- Capucci, Pier Luigi (1993). Realtà del virtuale. Rappresentazioni tecnologiche, comunicazione, arte [Reality of the virtual. Technological representations, communication, art)] (in Italian). Bologna: Clueb. ISBN 88-8091-215-1. (republished in 2015 as eBook)
- Capucci, Pier Luigi (1994). Il corpo tecnologico. L'influenza delle tecnologie sul corpo e sulle sue facoltà [The technological body. Technologies’ influence on the body and its faculties] (in Italian). Bologna: Baskerville. ISBN 978-88-800-0008-2.
- Capucci, Pier Luigi (1996). Arte e tecnologie. Comunicazione estetica e tecnoscienze [Art and technologies. Aesthetic communication and technosciences] (in Italian). Bologna: Ed. dell'Ortica. ISBN 978-88-909189-0-2.
- "T-Node". www.t-node.org. Archived from the original on 7 September 2014. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Planetary Collegium (University of Plymouth)Archived 6 September 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- Capucci Curriculum
- "NOEMA > SPECIALS > NETMAG/MAGNET – ALLE ORIGINI DEL NET-PUBLISHING". noemalab.eu. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "<mediaversi> – Media, tecnologie, cultura e società". www.mediaversi.it (in Italian). Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "FiveWordsForTheFuture". FiveWordsForTheFuture. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "art*science". art*science. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Italy, B. O. "art*science – The New and History". Leonardo/ISAST. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- "Noema un’analisi su quindici anni di innovazione" (Noema, an analysis on 15 years of innovation) (written with Paolo Chighine)
-  Art can save us. L’arte tra sostenibilità, ecologia, economia (Art can save us. Art Among Sustainability, Ecology, Economy) [Part 1 & 2)[permanent dead link]
- The Internet of Things from the user’s perspective
-  Simulation beyond perspective. The discourse of holography as a tool for imagery, art, media studies and science][dead link]
- Interviewing new media art didactics with Pier Luigi Capucci
- La 'Terza vita'. Ipotesi sulla molteplicità del vivente" (The ‘Third Life’. Hypothesis on the Multiplicity of the Living)
- La simulación como recurso global (Simulation as a Global Resource)