Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Elevation||1,014 ft (309 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||812, 930|
|GNIS feature ID||441112|
Pierceville was laid out in 1860. The community's name honors the Pierce family of settlers. A post office was established at Pierceville in 1854, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1976.
Pierceville is located at.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Pierceville, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved July 29, 2017.
- "The Start of Ripley County, Indiana". Ripley County, Indiana Historical Society. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Baker, Ronald L. (October 1995). From Needmore to Prosperity: Hoosier Place Names in Folklore and History. Indiana University Press. p. 263. ISBN 978-0-253-32866-3.
...named for the local Pierce family...
- "Ripley County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 30 November 2015.
- Nelson, Murry R. (23 May 2013). American Sports: A History of Icons, Idols, and Ideas. ABC-CLIO. p. 562. ISBN 978-0-313-39753-0.
|This Ripley County, Indiana location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|