|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2014)|
Umiliani was born in Florence, Tuscany. Like many of his Italian colleagues at that time, he composed the scores for many exploitation films in the 1960s and 1970s, covering genres such as spaghetti western, Eurospy, Giallo, and soft sex films.
Although not as widely regarded as, for example, Ennio Morricone or Riz Ortolani, he helped form the style of the typical European 1960s and 1970s jazz influenced film soundtrack, that later experienced a revival in films such as Kill Bill, and "Crepuscolo Sul Mare" in Ocean's Twelve.
"Mah Nà Mah Nà" (1968) was originally used in Sweden: Heaven and Hell, a 1968 Mondo documentary about Sweden, but was popularized by The Muppets, who covered the song several times; starting on episode 0014 of Sesame Street on November 27, 1969, then The Ed Sullivan Show three days later, and again on the syndicated series The Muppet Show in 1977. The track was also a hit in the UK, reaching number 8 in the UK Singles Chart in May 1977.
Umiliani's other scores included Son of Django, Orgasmo, Death Knocks Twice, Five Dolls for an August Moon , Baba Yaga, The Slave and Sex Pot. His orchestra score "Arrivano I Marines" for War Italian Style, a 1966 comedy about two USMC soldiers in Italy, is used in the Armored Trooper Votoms series as "March of the Red Shoulders".
Umiliani died in Rome in February 2001, at the age of 74.
- Samson and His Mighty Challenge (1964)
- The Dreamer (1965)
- Agent 3S3: Passport to Hell (1965)
- Agent 3S3, Massacre in the Sun (1966)
- Due mafiosi contro Al Capone (1966)
- Blockhead (1966)
- War Italian Style (1966)
- Son of Django (1967)
- The Fantastic Argoman (1967)
- Last of the Badmen (1967)
- I barbieri di Sicilia (1967)
- Sweden: Heaven and Hell (1968)
- Orgasmo (1969)
- Gangster's Law (1969)
- Death Knocks Twice (1969)
- The Archangel (1969)
- Five Dolls for an August Moon (1970)
- Don Franco e Don Ciccio nell'anno della contestazione (1970)
- Roy Colt and Winchester Jack (1970)
- Vengeance Is a Dish Served Cold (1971)
- La ragazza dalla pelle di luna (1972)
- Baba Yaga (1973)
- The Slave (1973)
- The Body (1974)
- La governante (1974)
- Il domestico (1974)
- Sex Pot (1975)
- Eva Nera (1976)
- Pane, burro e marmellata (1977)
- Lobster for Breakfast (1979)
- I Hate Blondes (1980)
- There Is a Ghost in My Bed (1981)
|This article about an Italian composer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|