Pierre Angénieux Excellens in Cinematography
The name comes from Pierre Angénieux, inventor of the retrofocus zoom mechanism and founder of the French manufacturer of high-end zoom lenses. It does not award a film from the Cannes' Official selection but intends to pay tribute to a prominent director of photography whose career is praised by all the industry for his/her aesthetic work.
This award is organized by Angénieux, an 80 years old French manufacturer of zoom lenses, official partner of the Cannes Film festival. This award celebrates a cinematographer for his/her career, not as a brand ambassador. Despite his 2015 award, Roger A. Deakins acknowledged that he does not shoot with zoom lenses. The company explains this sponsorship, writing: "For more than 80 years, with their demanding aesthetics and techniques, directors of photography have secured the success of Angénieux zoom lenses. In honor, Angénieux turns the spotlight to these image professionals without whom cinema would not exist".
The ceremony takes place within Cannes' main venue, generally during the festival's last week (month of May). The honoree walks on the red carpet with his/her spouse and special guests. An overview of his/her filmography is projected, then the President of Angénieux and the Director of the festival speak along with former partners who explain their experiences and the reason of this tribute. An Angénieux zoom lens engraved with the name of the recipient is offered as the award.
List of honored cinematographers
- 2013: Philippe Rousselot (AFC, ASC)
- 2014: Vilmos Zsigmond (HSC, ASC)
- 2015: Roger A. Deakins (BSC, ASC)
- 2016: Peter Suschitzky (ASC)
- 2017: Christopher Doyle (HKSC)
- 2018: Edward Lachman (ASC)
- "Angénieux - Professional cinema lens manufacturer".
- Fauer, Jon. "Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC Interview about Cannes ExcelLens Cinematography Award". Film and Digital Times. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Angénieux Tribute to Peter Suschitzky ASC - Angénieux" (in French). 2016-05-03. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Cannes Seminar with Peter Suschitzky, ASC - part 1 - ASC Web Site". 30 June 2016.
- "Cannes Seminar with Peter Suschitzky, ASC - part 2 - ASC Web Site". 8 August 2016.
- Fauer, Jon (2013-05-27). "Philippe Rousselot, ASC, AFC, ExcelLens". Film and Digital Times. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Zsigmond Zooms - ASC Web Site". 2014-07-11. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Roger Deakins Receives Angénieux ExcelLens Award". 2015-06-27. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Peter Suschitzky, ASC Receives Angénieux ExcelLens Award - ASC News". Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "« Pierre Angénieux ExcelLens in Cinematography » - 5th edition at Cannes Film Festival 2017 - Angénieux". Angénieux. 2017-05-11. Retrieved 2017-05-12.
- Fauer, Jon (2017-05-11). "Christopher Doyle, HKSC to get Angenieux Award". Film and Digital Times. Retrieved 2017-05-16.
- "Edward Lachman, ASC to Receive 2018 Pierre Angénieux ExcelLens in Cinematography Honor in Cannes - The American Society of Cinematographers". theasc.com. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
- "CANNES FILM FESTIVAL 2018 ANGENIEUX WILL PAY TRIBUTE TO DoP ED LACHMAN ASC - Angénieux". Angénieux. 2018-04-27. Retrieved 2018-05-01.
|This film award–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|