Education and early life
Born in Rome (Italy), Pierre Baldi received his Bachelor of Science and Master of Science degrees at the University of Paris, in France. He then obtained his Ph.D. degree in mathematics at the California Institute of Technology in 1986 supervised by R. M. Wilson.
Career and research
From 1986 to 1988, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, San Diego. From 1988 to 1995, he held faculty and member of the technical staff positions at the California Institute of Technology and at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he was awarded the Lew Allen Award for Excellence in 1993. He was CEO of a start up company called Net-ID from 1995 to 1999 and joined University of California, Irvine in 1999.
Baldi's research interests include artificial intelligence, statistical machine learning, and data mining, and their applications to problems in the life sciences in genomics, proteomics, systems biology, computational neuroscience, and, recently, deep learning.
- "Bioinformatics: the Machine Learning Approach" (MIT Press, 1998; 2nd Edition, 2001, ISBN 978-0262025065) a worldwide best-seller
- "Modeling the Internet and the Web. Probabilistic Methods and Algorithms", by Pierre Baldi, Paolo Frasconi and Padhraic Smyth. Wiley editors, 2003.[ISBN missing]
- "The Shattered Self—The End of Natural Evolution", by Pierre Baldi. MIT Press, 2001.
- "DNA Microarrays and Gene Regulation", Pierre Baldi and G. Wesley Hatfield. Cambridge University Press, 2002.[ISBN missing]
- Extensive gene gain associated with adaptive evolution of poxviruses
Awards and honors
Baldi is a fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), the AAAS, the IEEE, and the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). He is also the recipient of the 2010 Eduardo R. Caianiello Prize for Scientific Contributions to the field of Neural Networks and a fellow of the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB).
- Pierre Baldi publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Pierre Baldi at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- List of UCI Distinguished Professors, retrieved 2020-03-23.
- List of IGB faculty, retrieved 2009-04-03.
- Footnote of the scientific paper "How delays affect neural dynamics and learning", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, July 1994 (.pdf)
- Lew Allen Award description.
- Pierre Baldi at DBLP Bibliography Server
- http://www.igb.uci.edu/~pfbaldi/?page=publications - UCI publications
- McLysaght, A.; Baldi, P. F.; Gaut, B. S. (2003). "Extensive gene gain associated with adaptive evolution of poxviruses". Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 100 (26): 15655–15660. Bibcode:2003PNAS..10015655M. doi:10.1073/pnas.2136653100. ISSN 0027-8424. PMC 307623. PMID 14660798.
- AAAI Announces Newly-Elected Fellows, July 24, 2007.
- New fellows Archived 2008-01-12 at the Wayback Machine, AAAS, retrieved 2009-04-03.
- 2012 Newly Elevated Fellows, IEEE, accessed 2011-12-10.
- Pierre Baldi ACM Fellows 2012