9 April 1950 (age 68)|
Apinac, Loire, France
Pierre Gagnaire (born 9 April 1950 in Apinac, Loire) is a French chef, and the head chef and owner of the eponymous Pierre Gagnaire restaurant at 6 rue Balzac in Paris (in the 8th arrondissement). Gagnaire is an iconoclastic chef at the forefront of the fusion cuisine movement. Beginning his career in St. Etienne where he won three Michelin Stars, Gagnaire tore at the conventions of classic French cooking by introducing jarring juxtapositions of flavours, tastes, textures, and ingredients. On his website Pierre Gagnaire gives his mission statement as the wish to run a restaurant which is 'facing tomorrow but respectful of yesterday' ("tourné vers demain mais soucieux d'hier").
The restaurant specializes in modern French cuisine, and has garnered three Michelin stars. Gagnaire is also head chef of Sketch in London. In 2005 both restaurants were ranked in the S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants by industry magazine Restaurant, with Pierre Gagnaire ranking third for three consecutive years (2006, 2007, and 2008).
In the United States
Pierre Gagnaire has made appearances on Fuji TV's Iron Chef. He represented France in the 1995 Iron Chef World Cup. He later appeared in the "France Battle" because of financial difficulties at that time.
This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Paris, Pierre Gagnaire, 1996–
- Paris, Gaya rive gauche par Pierre Gagnaire, 2005–
- London, Sketch, 2002–
- Tokyo, Pierre Gagnaire à Tokyo, 2005–
- Hong Kong, Pierre, 2006–
- Da Nang, La Maison 1888, 2015-
- Courchevel, Pierre Gagnaire pour les Airelles, 2007–
- Dubai, Reflets par Pierre Gagnaire, 2008–
- Seoul, Pierre Gagnaire à Séoul, 2008–
- Las Vegas, Twist by Pierre Gagnaire, 2009–
- Tokyo, Pierre Gagnaire Tokyo, 2010–
- Saint-Tropez, Colette, 2010–
- Moscow, Les Menus par Pierre Gagnaire, 2010–
- Berlin, Les Solistes by Pierre Gagnaire, 2013–
- Riyadh, Acacia by Pierre Gagnaire, 2016-
- Shanghai, Le Comptoir de Pierre Gagnaire, 2017-
- Prince, Rose (9 July 2009). "Pierre Gagnaire: all the fun of the fare". Daily Telegraph. UK.
- Prince, Rose (27 May 2010). "Pierre Gagnaire: Keep your mind open in the kitchen". Daily Telegraph. UK.
- S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants 2005 Award Winners Archived 2 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants 2006 Award Winners Archived 2 September 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants 2007 Award Winners Archived 30 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine.
- S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants 2008 Award Winners Archived 14 September 2013 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Le Chef Lists 100 of The Best Chefs in the World". FineDiningLovers.com. 2015. Retrieved 25 October 2015.
- "Meet Pierre Gagnaire, the 'best chef in the world'". FoodDiva.net. April 2015. Retrieved 25 October 2015.