||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (March 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
9 January 1925
Quebec City, Quebec, Canada
|Died||22 January 2014
Los Angeles, California, U.S.
|Cause of death||heart attack|
Pierre Jalbert (9 January 1925 – 22 January 2014) was a Canadian skier, actor, and motion picture film and sound editor, primarily known for his role as "Caje" on the US television 1960's World War II program Combat!.
He was christened Joseph Jacques Pierre-Paul Jalbert in Quebec City, Quebec, the son of a newspaperman. He graduated from Ouellet College, and attended Laval University, where he was part of the University Air Training Corps during World War II.
He was both Canada's Junior and Senior National Ski Champion. In 1948, he was the Captain of Canada's Olympic Ski Team at St. Moritz, but due to breaking his leg in a fall during a practice run, he never skied in the Games. After the Olympics, he was involved with the National Film Board of Canada. Eventually he moved to the United States and worked as a ski instructor at Sun Valley, Idaho, in the 1950s.
Editing and Acting Career
In 1961, at the urging of an agent friend, he auditioned for and got the part of bilingual Cajun PFC Paul "Caje" Le May in the ABC World War II dramatic TV series Combat!. After the show's cancellation in 1967, Jalbert had a few other acting roles before returning to his editing career. Pierre worked on The Godfather, including the famous baptism intercut sequence at the climax of the movie. He was nominated for an Emmy Award for sound editing for the 1981 miniseries Shōgun. He retired in 1990.
Pierre Jalbert died in Los Angeles on 22 January 2014. He had been in the hospital since suffering a heart attack on his 89th birthday, two weeks prior.
Films and TV - Acting
- Ski Crazy! (1955) as the Psychiatrist
- Combat! (1962–1967) as PFC Paul "Caje" LeMay
- Mission: Impossible (1967) as Paul Lebarre
- The Virginian (1968) as Jules
- The Name of the Game (1969) as Dr. Nieves
- Footprints on the Moon- Apollo 11 1969 ( Re-released in 2009 on DVD for the 40 th anniversary of the first moon landing) as the voice of Jules Verne
- Night Gallery (1971) as the Andrea Doria Officer of the watch
- The Ski Bum (1971) as Roger
- The Richard Petty Story (1974) as Curtis Cross
- Ski Lift to Death (1978) as Clevenger
- The Concorde ... Airport '79 (1979) as Henri
- Good-bye, Cruel World (1983) as Pierre