Pierre Lacroix (ice hockey, born 1948)
August 3, 1948
|Occupation||former general manager of the Colorado Avalanche|
Pierre Lacroix (born August 3, 1948) is the former President and General Manager of the Colorado Avalanche, building teams that won two Stanley Cups during his tenure. He is known for his astute trades, such as his acquisition of Patrick Roy during the 1995–96 NHL season that led to a Cup that season and his trades for star defensemen Ray Bourque during the 1999–2000 NHL season and Rob Blake during the 2000–01 NHL season that also led to a Stanley Cup in 2001.
On March 8, 2006, a day before the NHL trade deadline, Pierre Lacroix traded goalie David Aebischer for 2002 Hart and Vezina trophy winner José Théodore. This trade was criticized in the local media at the time because Théodore was having a very bad season and was injured at the time of the trade. This criticism from media and fans continued at varying degrees throughout Théodore's short tenure with the Avalanche.
On May 12, 2006, Lacroix announced that he would be giving up his general manager duties and focusing solely on a new role as team president.
On May 10, 2013, Lacroix announced that he was stepping down as President and will serve in an advisory role for the club.
- Farber, Michael (March 20, 2000). "Ray of Hope". Sports Illustrated. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- Frei, Terry (June 2, 2013). "Two Stanley Cups only part of why "Pierre's a champion"". Denver Post. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Nordiques Replace Page With Lacroix". The New York Times. May 25, 1994. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Theodore traded to Avs, Aebischer goes to Canadiens". USA Today. March 8, 2006. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "In Roy's shadow? Theodore will dictate Avs' success". ESPN. April 14, 2006. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Lacroix resigns as Colorado GM". CBC News. May 12, 2006. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Pierre Lacroix bio". Colorado Sports Hall of Fame. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Avs' Pierre Lacroix steps down". ESPN. May 10, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
- "Eric Lacroix leaves Colorado Avalanche in shake-up after Sacco fired". Denver Post. April 28, 2013. Retrieved 2016-01-14.
| General Manager of the Quebec Nordiques/Colorado Avalanche
|This Canadian biographical article relating to ice hockey is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|