Pierre Marie Arthur Morelet
Pierre Marie Arthur Morelet (26 August 1809 – 9 October 1892) was a French naturalist, born in Lays, Doubs. He was a member of the Commission to Algeria, primarily as a natural artist, drawing any natural findings.
He had a particular interest in molluscs, particularly the molluscan species of Africa, and published many works on the topic.
Morelet described various taxa, including:
Taxa named in his honour
Taxa named in honour of Arthur Morelet include:
- Agalychnis moreletii (A.M.C. Duméril, 1853) – Morelet's Treefrog
- Crocodylus moreletii A.H.A. Duméril & Bibron, 1851 – Morelet's Crocodile
- Mesaspis moreletii (Bocourt, 1871)
- Ommatoiulus moreletii (Lucas, 1860) – a millipede
- Clavator moreleti Crosse & Fischer, 1868
- Conus moreleti Crosse, 1858
- Edentulina moreleti (Adams, 1868)
- Leidyula moreleti (Fischer, 1871)
- Letourneuxia moreleti (P. Hesse 1884)
- Onoba moreleti Dautzenberg, 1889
- Patella moreleti Drouet, 1858
- Morelet A. (1845). Description des mollusques terrestres et fluviatiles du Portugal. pp. [1–3], I–VII, 1–116, Pl. I–XIV. Paris. (Bailliere). scan
- Morelet A. (1860). Iles Açores. Notice sur l'histoire naturelle des Açores suivie d'une description des mollusques terrestres de cet archipel. scan
- Beolens B, Watkins M, Grayson M. 2011. The Eponym Dictionary of Reptiles. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. xiii + 296 pp. ISBN 978-1-4214-0135-5. ("Morelet", pp. 182-183).
|This article about a French zoologist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|