|Mayor of Geneva|
1 June 2011 – 31 May 2012
|Preceded by||Sandrine Salerno|
|Succeeded by||Rémy Pagani|
|Born||6 March 1978|
|Political party||Liberal Party (Before 2009)|
FDP.The Liberals (2009–present)
|Alma mater||University of Fribourg|
Pierre Maudet is the son of Henri Maudet (born 1948), a Frenchman who first studied theology in Paris before moving to Geneva and becoming a lawyer, and Susanna Willy (born 1943), a teacher. Maudet was born on 6 March 1978 in Geneva, Switzerland and attended the University of Fribourg.
In 2017, he was nominated by his party to run for the Federal Council. He lost the election in the second ballot receiving 90 votes against Ignazio Cassis who received 125 votes and therefore achieved the absolute majority. The election took place on 20 September 2017.
Controversial 2015 expenses-paid trip to Abu Dhabi
In November 2015, Pierre Maudet and his family, his former chief of staff Patrick Baud-Lavigne and Antoine Daher, a friend active in real estate in Geneva, made a luxury trip to Abu Dhabi. Pierre Maudet initially claimed until May 2018 that the trip, including business class flights, accommodation at the Emirates Palace and access to the Formula One race was a private trip, paid for by his friend and it was by chance that he met Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi. Following this meeting, he held talks with senior officials on political issues.
A police report on the trip was submitted to the courts in August 2017, and proceedings were opened against an unknown person, Pierre Maudet and his chief of staff.
In August 2018, the public prosecutor claims Pierre Maudet accepted flights and accommodation for an amount estimated at several tens of thousands of Swiss francs.
Pierre Maudet admitted “having hidden part of the truth”.
In September 2018, the Geneva government said in a statement to temporarily withdraw the Presidential Department from Pierre Maudet, now entrusted to Antonio Hodgers. Pierre Maudet also lost police responsibility to Mauro Poggia and the Geneva Airport get to Serge Dal Busco.
On 23 November 2018, an online petition on change.org was launched urging Maudet to resign and the Swiss Party president Petra Gössi was also critical. "If I were Pierre Maudet, I would have already resigned".
- "Pierre Maudet: "Amender les mendiants s'avère peu efficace"" (in French). Tribune de Genève. November 2, 2011. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Pierre Maudet déclare la guerre aux tags" (in French). 20 Minuten. December 11, 2008. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Pour Pierre Maudet, interdire la pub pour les crédits aux jeunes est insuffisant" (in French). Tribune de Genève. September 26, 2011. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Maudet est prêt à rendre son passeport français". Tribune de Genève. 2017-08-07.
- "L'arbre généalogique de Pierre Maudet". generations-plus.ch. 2017-09-01.
- Canton Announcement of results
- Official Announcement of results Archived 2017-08-01 at the Wayback Machine
- "Pierre Maudet devient chroniqueur pour le "Blick"". Tribune de Genève. 2018-01-03.
- "Hazza bin Zayed meets Geneva Canton's security minister, informs him about Abu Dhabi Police's operations room at Yas Island". wam.ae. 2015-11-29.
- "Maudet steps aside from Geneva presidency amid scandal". SWI swissinfo.ch. 2018-09-13.
- "Geneva president continues to deny conflict of interest". SWI swissinfo.ch. 2018-09-13. Retrieved 2018-09-15.
- "Pierre Maudet doit lâcher l'essentiel". Le Temps (in French). 2018-09-14.
- "Online petition calls for Geneva minister Pierre Maudet to resign". SWI swissinfo.ch. 2018-11-27.
| Mayor of Geneva