Pierre Pestieau (born 1943 in Froidchapelle) is a Belgian economist. Since receiving his B.A and M.A degrees in economics from the University of Louvain and then his PhD from Yale University, Pierre Pestieau has had over thirty-five years of experience teaching and conducting research in public economics and population economics first at Cornell University and then at the University of Liege.
Since 2008 he is professor emeritus at the University of Liege.
He is associate editor of Public Economic Theory and CESifo Economic Studies.
Professor Pestieau’s major interests are pension economics, social insurance, inheritance taxation, redistributive policies and tax competition. His articles have been published in leading journals such as Econometrica, the Journal of Economic Theory, Economica, the Journal of Public Economics, the Journal of Population Economics and the Scandinavian Journal of Economics. His most recent book with Mathieu Lefèbvre “L'État Providence. Défense et illustration” has been published by the Presses Universitaires de France. He has also published at Oxford University Press “The Welfare State in the European Union”. Prior books were devoted to the performance of public enterprises, inheritance, social security, and the underground economy.
Professor Pestieau has held visiting positions at the University of Cornell, London School of Economics, the University of Toulouse, Montreal, Marseille, Paris (1 and 10), Le Mans and Louvain. He has been a consultant to various national and international agencies, including the International Monetary Fund, the World Bank, the OECD and the European Commission.
- The Performance of Public Enterprises: Concepts and Measurement. (with M. Marchand and H. Tulkens), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1984, 296 p.
- Public Enterprise in Western Europe (with H. Parris and P. Saynor), Croom Helm, London, 1986, 197 p.
- L'Économie Informelle, (coéd. avec V. Ginsburgh), Labor Nathan, Bruxelles, 1987, 188 p.
- L'Économie Souterraine, Pluriel, Hachette, Paris, 1989, 320 p.
- Héritage et Transmissions Intergénérationnelles, (coéd. avec B. Jurion), De Boeck, Bruxelles, 1994, 286 p.
- Social Security and Retirement (with Robert Fenge), MIT Press, 2005.
- The Welfare State in the European Union: Economic and Social Perspectives, Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Pensions Strategies in Europe and the United States, (edited with R. Fenge and G. de Menil), MIT Press, 2008, 299 p.
- L’Etat-providence en Europe. Performance et dumping social (with Mathieu Lefebvre), Editions du CEPREMAP, Paris, 2012, 80 p.
- L’Etat providence. Défense et illustration, (with M. Lefebvre), PUF, Paris, 2017.
- The Welfare State in Europe, (with Mathieu Lefebvre) Oxford University Press (forthcoming)
- "uclouvain.be". uclouvain.be. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "yale.edu". yale.edu. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "cornell.edu". cornell.edu. 2012-03-03. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "ulg.ac.be". ulg.ac.be. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "UCL - Center for Operations Research and Econometrics". Uclouvain.be. 7 September 2011. Archived from the original on 21 February 2012. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "PSE - Ecole d'économie de Paris - Paris School of Economics". Parisschoolofeconomics.eu. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
- "iza.org". iza.org. 2012-01-10. Retrieved 2012-03-10.
|This article about a Belgian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|