Pierre Max Rosenberg (born April 13, 1936 in Paris) is a French art historian and essayist. He was Slade Professor of Fine Art at the University of Cambridge in 1986.
Pierre Rosenberg was born on April 13, 1936 Paris. He graduated from the École du Louvre.
He joined the Musée du Louvre in 1962 as an assistant. After his promotion to curator, he later became director of the museum in 1994 and served at this post until 2001.
Rosenberg was elected to the Académie française on 7 December 1995. He is also an honorary member of the Accademia delle Arti del Disegno of Florence.
He is married to Béatrice de Rothschild, the daughter of the late Alain de Rothschild.
- France in the Golden Age: Seventeenth-Century French Paintings in American Collections, 1982, ISBN 978-0870992957
- Fragonard, 1988, ISBN 978-0810909212
- Chardin, 2000, ISBN 978-0300083484
- From Drawing to Painting: Poussin, Watteau, Fragonard, David, and Ingres, 2000, ISBN 978-0691009186
- Only in America: 100 European Masterpieces in American Museums, 2006, ISBN 978-8876246623