Pierre Hardy (fashion designer)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1 February 1956|
Pierre Hardy (born 1 February 1956) is a French fashion designer who specializes in luxury footwear. Hardy is known for designing high-end women's shoes and men's sneakers.
Early life and education
Hardy was born in Paris. His mother was a ballet instructor and his father taught athletics. He pursued a teaching degree in plastic arts and taught at art schools, includings at his alma mater École Duperré in Paris. After graduation, he joined a modern dance troupe and drew illustrations for European fashion magazines such as Vanity Fair Italia and Vogue Hommes.
Career in design
From 1990 until 1999, Hardy worked under Claude Brouet at Hermès, where he was responsible for men's and women's shoes. At Hermès, he created classics that include the Oran sandal in 1997. For the spring/summer 1998 collection, he developed the Quick trainer, making Hermès the first luxury brand to design a trainer made entirely of leather. In 2001, Hermès added jewelry to his responsibilities.
In 1999, Hardy launched his eponymous brand, Pierre Hardy. Within a year, he sold 5,000 pairs to stores like Neiman Marcus and Barneys New York. Today the brand sells luxury shoe and fashion accessories for men and women. In 2016, he sold a minority stake of his company to Hermès.
From 2001, Hardy also oversaw women's shoes for Balenciaga, under the leadership of Nicolas Ghesquière. He left Balenciaga when Ghesquière did, in 2012. He also collaborated with the Gap Inc. in 2011, and with the makeup brand NARS Cosmetics in 2013.
|Country||Number of stores||Cities||Location|
|France||1||Paris (1)||156, Galerie de Valois 75001 Paris|
|United States of America||1||New York City (1)||30, Jane Street 10014 New York|
|Japan||1||Tokyo (1)||Minami Aoyama Yusen Building A-103 5-5-25 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku|
- Friedman, Vanessa (13 July 2016). "Hermès Steps Into the Shoe Wars With a Stake in Pierre Hardy". Nytimes.com. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- Kate Finnigan (November 25, 2017), 'Fashion's favourite brainiac': Pierre Hardy on creating cult shoes for Hermès The Daily Telegraph.
- Lindsay Talbot (October 12, 2018), The Bold Sensibility of Pierre Hardy T: The New York Times Style Magazine.
- Alexandra Marshall (February 9, 2017), Pierre Hardy’s Black-and-White Parisian Pad Wall Street Journal.
- Vanessa Friedman (July 13, 2016), Hermès Steps Into the Shoe Wars With a Stake in Pierre Hardy New York Times.
- "About Pierre Hardy - Portrait, inspirations and creation process". Pierrehardy.com. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- "PIERRE HARDY, CHEVALIER DE LA LÉGION D'HONNEUR". Pierrehardy.com. Retrieved 10 December 2018.
- Cathy Horyn (August 28, 2005), How Nicolas Got His Groove Back T: The New York Times Style Magazine.
- "Stores". Pierrehardy.com. Retrieved 10 December 2018.