The son of Thomas Claughton (M.P. for Newton, Lancashire, 1818 – 25) of Haydock Lodge, he was educated at Brasenose College, Oxford, where he graduated, B.A. (1835) and M.A. (1838). He was elected a Fellow of University College, Oxford in 1836.
Ordination and advancement
Following his ordination in 1838 he was made rector of Elton, Huntingdonshire (1842 – 43; 1845 – 59), before becoming the first Bishop of St Helena (1859 – 61) and a subsequent translation to the see of Colombo (1862 – 71). Upon his return to England he served as Archdeacon of London and a canon of St Paul's from 1870 to 1884 and was appointed Chaplain-General of Her Majesty's Forces in 1875.
He died in Maida Vale, London. A memorial tablet was placed in the crypt of St. Paul's Cathedral, London in 1885. A stamp was issued to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Diocese of St Helena which bore his image. his brother was Bishop of Rochester from 1867 to 1877; and then of St Albans until 1890.
Amongst others he wrote:
- Knowledge the Reward of Obedience, 1840
- A Brief Comparison of the Thirty-nine Articles of the Church of England with Holy Scripture, 1843
- A Catechism in Six Parts, for the Sundays in Lent. 1847.
- The Gospel Invitation, 1859
- The Jews in relation to the Church and the World, 1877
- The Manner of the Growth of Christ's Kingdom, 1877
Notes and references
- 'Funeral of Bishop Claughton' Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Friday, August 15, 1884; Issue 6063
- Claughton 1872.
- Consecration Of The Bishop of St Helena The Times (London, England), Friday, May 30, 1862; pg. 12; Issue 24259
- OBITUARY FOR 1884.The Morning Post (London, England), Wednesday, December 31, 1884; pg. 2; Issue 35109
- Lane 1914.
- Fisher 2009.
- Sutton 1887.
- Winwick, Lancashire
- Foster 1888, p. 259.
- OXFORD, SATURDAY, FEB. 20 Jackson's Oxford Journal (Oxford, England), Saturday, February 20, 1836
- ORDINATIONS The Morning Post (London, England), Wednesday, February 14, 1838; pg. 6; Issue 20951
- Page 1936, pp. 154-166.
- Crockford's Clerical Directory 1872 p48 London, Horace Cox, 1872
- ECCLESIASTICAL The Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Ireland), Tuesday, May 24, 1859; Issue 13393
- 'RELIGIOUS INTELLIGENCE' The Bury and Norwich Post, and Suffolk Herald (Bury St Edmunds, England), Tuesday, December 17, 1861; Issue 4147
- Guardian Newspaper Archive: October 29, 1884 - Page 12
- The Clergy List, Clerical Guide and Ecclesiastical Directory London, Hamilton & Co 1889
- "no. 24199". The London Gazette. 13 April 1875. p. 2081.
- THE LATE BISHOP CLAUGHTON The Times (London, England), Saturday, Aug 16, 1884; pg. 6; Issue 31214
- Weirter 1909.
- Whitehall May 11 The Times (London, England), Saturday, May 12, 1877; pg. 7; Issue 28940
- Muss-Arnolt, William; Benton, Josiah Henry (1914). "CHAPTER XXXV THE SINHALESE PRAYER BOOK". The Book of Common Prayer Among the Nations of the World: A History of Translations of the Prayer Book of the Church of England and of the Protestant Episcopal Church of America ; a Study, Based Mainly, on the Collection of Josiah Henry Benton. S.P.C.K.
- Colonies And India Newspaper Archive: October 24, 1884 - Page 12
- Lane, John Henry (1914). Newton in Makerfield: Its History, with some account of its people. Compiled from Authentic sources. John Henry Lane. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- Claughton, Piers Calverley (1872). "Last Days in Ceylon". Mission Life. Vol. III. pp. 67–72. Retrieved 2014-10-01 – via Project Canterbury.
- Fisher, D. R. (2009). The House of Commons, 1820-1832 7 Volume Set. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-0-521-19314-6.
- Sutton, Charles William (1887). "Claughton, Piers Calverley". In Stephen, Leslie. Dictionary of National Biography. 11. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
- Foster, Joseph (1888). Alumni Oxonienses: The Members of the University of Oxford, 1715-1886 ; Their Parentage, Birthplace and Year of Birth, with a Record of Their Degrees. Volume I (A-D). Oxford: Parker.
- Page, William (1936). "Parishes: Elton". In Proby, Granville; Ladds, S. Inskip. A History of the County of Huntingdon. Volume 3. Institute of Historical Research. Retrieved 2014-10-01.
- Weirter, L. (1909). Memorials of St Paul's Cathedral. London: William Macdonald Sinclair.
- Hathi Trust
- Project Canterbury
- The Church of Ceylon (Anglican Communion)
- National Archives
- 150th Anniversary of the Diocese of St Helena - Piers Calveley Claughton
|Anglican Church of Southern Africa titles|
|New diocese||Bishop of St Helena
1859 – 1862
Thomas Earle Welby
|Anglican Communion titles|
|Bishop of Colombo
1862 – 1871
Hugh Willoughby Jermyn
|Church of England titles|
William Hale Hale
|Archdeacon of London
1871 – 1884
Edwin Hamilton Gifford
George Robert Gleig
|Chaplain-General to the Forces
1875 – 1884
John Cox Edghill