Piet Keizer in 1973
|Full name||Petrus Johannes Keizer|
|Date of birth||14 June 1943|
|Place of birth||Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Date of death||9 February 2017(aged 73)|
|Playing position||Left winger|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only.
As part of the "Total Football" Ajax Amsterdam team of the 1960s and 1970s, Keizer was particularly notable during the successive managerial tenures of Rinus Michels and Stefan Kovacs (1965–1973). He is widely considered one of the greatest players in Dutch football history. Dutch writer Nico Scheepmaker once said: "Cruyff is the best, but Keizer is the better one".
Keizer totalled 490 official matches for Ajax, scoring 189 goals between 1961 and 1974. He played predominantly on the left-wing and with Ajax won 3 consecutive European Cups (1971, 1972, 1973), having lost the 1969 European Cup final to A.C. Milan. Also with Ajax, he won 6 Eredivisie titles, 5 KNVB Cups, 2 European Super Cups, 1 Intercontinental Cup and 1 Intertoto Cup.
In August 1973, under new Ajax manager George Knobel, the Ajax players voted in a secret ballot for Keizer to be the team's next captain, ahead of Johan Cruyff. Just weeks later Cruyff left Ajax to join Barcelona.
With the Dutch national team, Keizer played 34 times, scoring 11 goals. He made his international debut in a 8-0 friendly win against the Netherlands Antilles in 1962. Keizer was selected by Netherlands manager, Rinus Michels, to play for the Dutch squad during the 1974 FIFA World Cup, but only started in the 0-0 draw against Sweden.
Keizer died after a long battle with lung cancer in February 2017.
Style of play
- Eredivisie: 1965–66, 1966–67, 1967–68, 1969–70, 1971–72, 1972–73
- KNVB Cup: 1960–61, 1966–67, 1969–70, 1970–71, 1971–72
- European Cup: 1970–71, 1971–72, 1972–73; Runner-up: 1968–69
- UEFA Super Cup: 1972, 1973
- Intercontinental Cup: 1972
- Intertoto Cup: 1961–62, 1968 (Group A2 winner)
- Hall of Fame: Piet Keizer
- Ajax-icoon Piet Keizer (73) overleden - Ajax (Dutch)
- Piet Keizer: Ghost goal
- Piet Keizer
- 1974 Netherlands World Cup Squad at Planet World Cup. Planetworldcup.com. Retrieved on 9 November 2013
- Ajax-icoon Piet Keizer (73) overleden - Telegraaf (Dutch)
- Het paar op weg naar de trouwzaal. gahetna.nl
- Ajax-elftal arriveert op Schiphol uit Londen. Piet Keizer met zoontje. gahetna.nl
- Niederlande trauern um Keizer - Parool (Dutch)
- The greatest teams of all time: Ajax 1971–73. UEFA.com. Retrieved on 2015-10-31.
- Johan Cruyff, My Turn. The autobiography, Macmillan, 2016, p. 273.
- 1973: Ajax enjoy early success. UEFA.com. Retrieved on 2015-10-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Piet Keizer.|
- Piet Keizer at National-Football-Teams.com