|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Pieter Hendrik Grobbelaar
16 September 1908|
|Died||22 June 1988(aged 79)|
|Service/branch||South African Army|
|Years of service||1933 – 1965|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
General Pieter Grobbelaar SSA DSO (16 September 1908 – 22 June 1988) was a South African military commander. He joined the South African Army as a part-time Citizen Force soldier in 1929 and became a full-time Permanent Force member in 1933.:92
He served as Army Chief of Staff from 1953 to 1958, as Inspector-General from 1958 to 1959, as Deputy Commandant-General from 1959 to 1960, and as Commandant-General, i.e. chief of the South African Defence Force, from 1961 to 1965.
Awards and Decorations
- Star of South Africa (SSA)
- Who's Who of Southern Africa 1964. Wootton & Gibson (Pty) Ltd. 1964. p. 367.
- "GROBBELAAR Pieter Hendrik 1908-1988". eggsa.org.
- Nöthling, C.J.; Meyers, E.M. (1982). "LEIERS DEUR DIE JARE (1912-1982)" (Online). Scientia Militaria - South African Journal of Military Studies (in Afrikaans). 12 (2): 89–98. doi:10.5787/12-2-631. ISSN 2224-0020. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Leon Engelbrecht. "Fact file: Chiefs of the SANDF,past and present". defenceweb.co.za.
|Commandant General South African Defence Force
1961 – 1965
|Chief of the South African Army
1953 – 1958
|Commandant South African Army College
1950 – 1952